Why are "progressives" so eager to defend Islam?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Why are "progressives" so eager to defend Islam?

Post by Jebus »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 amWe should all wonder why some Americans are fighting against a slave holding ideology, and encourage a non-violent repulsion of Muslim ideas that go against freedom and promote slavery
I think I understand your view but sometimes your posts are really difficult to decipher. Perhaps the occasional use of a comma would help.
Greatest I am wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 amI have been around for a bit and have become impatient with those who respect what they should not respect and with Christians who cannot form a moral argument to argue for their God which tell me they are following their genocidal son murdering God just for the gifts he promise and they do not care that his morals are satanic.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Jebus wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 am
Greatest I am wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 amWe should all wonder why some Americans are fighting against a slave holding ideology, and encourage a non-violent repulsion of Muslim ideas that go against freedom and promote slavery
I think I understand your view but sometimes your posts are really difficult to decipher. Perhaps the occasional use of a comma would help.
Greatest I am wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 amI have been around for a bit and have become impatient with those who respect what they should not respect and with Christians who cannot form a moral argument to argue for their God which tell me they are following their genocidal son murdering God just for the gifts he promise and they do not care that his morals are satanic.
Being French does not help my English but I do the best I is.

A prochaine, or, till next time, my friend.

See what I mean.
I am not sure about that last comma. :D

Regards
DL
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Greatest I am wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:55 amBeing French does not help my English but I do the best I is.

Ah d'accord.Pour un(e) francais(e) t'ecrit tres bien en anglais.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Jebus wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 pm
Greatest I am wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:55 amBeing French does not help my English but I do the best I is.

Ah d'accord.Pour un(e) francais(e) t'ecrit tres bien en anglais.
Merci. Je fait mon mieux.

Regards
DL
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

I haven't been involved in the discussion, but to respond to the title of the post.....I have wondered that so much myself.

I think all religions are ....(what's a nice way to say this?) lacking in proof. I also have questions about Atheism. (How do you scientifically create something out of nothing?? ) So to be clear, I have no freaking idea, but I don't believe anyone is correct.

That being said, I think Islam is the worst religion in regards to women's rights, next to Christianity. Sikhism is a little better, but not ideal either. I think the only reason progressives defend Islam is because it is attacked by many Christians, which they dislike even more. Although I believe they only dislike Christianity more because they actually have been exposed to it and understand it. Islam is currently (to them) like the child on the school yard who is ostracized. They haven't realized that "child" (Islam) is ostracized because he cut off the heads of several kittens and no one want's to associate with someone who would do that.

And just to be clear, if it seems like I am attacking any one religion or belief, I am not. I am attacking ALL religions and beliefs, because they are ALL wrong. Including Atheism.

If you consider yourself progressive, I could point out verses or stanzas in your religious book that treats women as slaves, or says having slaves is OK. If you don't have a religion but defend those who do, I would point you to the same passages in their holy book. If you use the old phrase "but that's not how it's practiced today!" then I would reply "then they are not following their own religion that they claim to care soooo much about. It says it plain as day, in ink and copied millions of times for the "believers" to read".

Now your probably asking "So mister smart guy, since your such a freaking enlightened individual who tells everyone else what is wrong, WHat is the COrrect answer??!! HUh!! "

Fuck if I know. I'm too dumb to know the answer, but smart enough to know that which I don't know. I just try to treat people like I want to be treated. I don't fear an afterlife of torture if I do wrong, nor do I long for an afterlife of paradise if I do well. I just try to make this world I am in a little better for me, and for anyone else I can. Even the animals who can't speak for themselves. Even those who don't wish the same for me.

Well, I'm going to have a drink for those who can't partake. PBUH, Prayers, and whatnot.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PsYcHo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 pmI also have questions about Atheism. (How do you scientifically create something out of nothing?? )
Why is that an atheism question? Wouldn't that be a question for theists as well?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 am
PsYcHo wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 pmI also have questions about Atheism. (How do you scientifically create something out of nothing?? )
Why is that an atheism question? Wouldn't that be a question for theists as well?
It is mainly a question for Atheist because Theist base their beliefs (IMO) on a particular book. IOW, Theist have a reference (which I consider to be false) that they can point to. "Jesus/Allah/Mohammed/ Buddha/ said....."

I only have my religion as Atheist due to a debate on this forum where I argued that Agnosticism was different from Atheism, but it was pointed out that Atheism is merely a lack of a belief system. I have no true belief system, because I admit "I don't know." But...I refuse to bow to a deity that doesn't even bother to prove him/herself to me. If they are omnipotent, it would be easy to prove themselves and we would all accept them, but.... I also believe science to be the corner stone of humanity, but scientist cannot explain how "matter" existed in the first place to be super condensed and lead to the BIg Bang.

To me, hardcore Atheist and Christians/Muslims/Sikhs/Buddhist/ all are flawed. So I deign to avoid all of them as a belief system.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Jaywalker

Post by Jaywalker »

I live in a relatively progressive Islamic region, and it's still not exactly a pleasant place to be for an atheist (or a woman, or a homosexual, etc). It's better if you live around richer and more educated people obviously, but in general I'd say it's worse to live around moderate Muslims than around moderate Christians.

I don't think Islam as described in a book is inherently more evil than Christianity or a similar religion, but much of it has to do with cultural inheritance. When I talk about religions, I talk about cultures, they're inseperable. Islamic regions haven't had their equivalent of the Enlightenment, and what advancements they did manage to get were bits and scraps carried over from the Europeans. Add to that the historical rivalry with Christians and Europe, the regional instability, etc; we got extreme hostility to foreign ideas and influence that lasted to this day.

I think any place with an influx of foreign ideas, even if resisted at first, will eventually reach social equilibrium and become more peaceful. There's a long way to go for this to happen in the Islamic world for many reasons, but it's a different story when we are talking about immigrants or minorities living in the US for instance.

What progressives in the US or Europe should never do is stop criticising ISLAM and its cultural tradition, even if they don't want to criticise individual Muslims. All forms of hijab should be ridiculed. Some Muslim women may have their feelings hurt, but they'll survive.

Ideally, there should be better immigration policies. Muslims (especially immigrants, who have a very hard time adapting to customs and who tend to form their own communities) should be encouraged to get involved in society and spend more time exposed to better ideas. Unchecked mass immigration of Muslims is a big step back, I think.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Jaywalker wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 am Unchecked mass immigration of Muslims is a big step back, I think.
Indeed.

We already have enough ghettos and to spend more on new immigrants than we do on our present poor is insanity.

Especially given what Islam is in terms of a slave holding ideology.

The West fought against slavery and to allow it back in is insane and a disrespect to those who died to rid the West of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq_lhlIn1e0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZZlo0WZ_iU&feature=youtu.be

Regards
DL
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Greatest I am wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 1:17 pm
Jaywalker wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 am Unchecked mass immigration of Muslims is a big step back, I think.
Indeed.

We already have enough ghettos and to spend more on new immigrants than we do on our present poor is insanity.

Especially given what Islam is in terms of a slave holding ideology.

The West fought against slavery and to allow it back in is insane and a disrespect to those who died to rid the West of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq_lhlIn1e0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZZlo0WZ_iU&feature=youtu.be

Regards
DL
LOL, that song about hizbut tharir is great. We have them in my country also. It's hilarious how they try and overthrow the society that pays all their welfare.. biggest dumbfucks I've ever come across