Would you date a transgender?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.

Would you date a transgender?

Yes
56%
No
19%
Maybe
25%

Total votes: 16

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Would you date a transgender?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Whole, EquALLity, the hostility to Cloppy is unhelpful to the ends of educating.
Why not post pictures of pretty girls instead so Cloppy can reflect on the nature of attraction?

If somebody takes female hormones, the body down to the cellular level "thinks" it's female, the skin, hair, and many other things change as gene expression is altered.
If this occurs before male puberty, the body is indistinguishable from a natural born woman in every way aside from a small operation.

Call them real or fake, the bottom line of attraction is the same.
It's like the difference between a "real" diamond dug from the earth and a man made one. It's functionally the same, so drawing distinctions where it doesn't matter seems silly.

If it comes down to having babies, that makes sense, but you should be equally unwilling to date an infertile woman.
When it comes to politics and religious beliefs, while there may be trends none of those are written in stone. There are conservative and even Christian trans girls.

On the other hand, if Cloppy is more concerned that being attracted to a now as far as anybody can tell girl who used to be apparently male makes him gay and this is against his religion, that's a more personal matter. I can only say that, no, it doesn't make you gay. Whatever your faith says about it is not something I can really comment on.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Brimstone wrote:If this occurs before male puberty, the body is indistinguishable from a natural born woman in every way aside from a small operation
If you take take female hormones before puberty you are - different genitals aside - indistinguishable from a woman? Fascinating. Any links?
Cloppy
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by Cloppy »

There are some transgenders that really look like real women. I mean some transgenders that I can't tell they are transgender by looking at them, but so far those were rare I never really seen one of them except on pictures. As for Blaire White, I noticed she was a transgender just by looking and hearing her voice. Even if they look exactly like a woman I still wouldn't, it's not for religious reasons, even if I was an atheist I would think the same. The thing is I don't like them this way, if they want to be my friend and are not like all the other I've met before and actually nice to me then it's okay but just friend. I would never want to have a transgender girlfriend or anything. Same as I wouldn't date a woman with fake boobs or anything, I prefer them natural. But if someone has surgery to look good because of an accident or deformation she had, then to me that would be different and would probably be the only exception here. And no, being born male is not an accident.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by DarlBundren »

Cloppy wrote:Even if they look exactly like a woman I still wouldn't
So, even if they looked exactly like a woman, in every possible way, and they had a nice personality and a good job, you wouldn't date them? Why?
Cloppy wrote:And no, being born male is not an accident
But, as I showed, things are more complicated than that. Having male characteristics doesn't prevent someone from feeling uncomfortable in their skin. Are you against them having the possibily to feel better? Why?
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I would probably date a transgendered woman who's had the male-female operation, given that I was physically attracted to them along with their other personal attributes.

The only question/caveat I have, and it's kind of awkward, and I don't even know if anyone here would know the answer. But, the caveat I have is would the MtF genitals require lubrication and not be self-lubricating? Since I'm a virgin and expect to remain so for the next while, the only lubricant I know of is K-Y Jelly and according to a Forbes article I read, they test on animals.

Okay, so I read further and it looks like there are Vegan lubricants, so I guess the only possible setback for dating a good looking/nice intelligent Vegan transwoman would be the slight increased cost, but I'd definitely be willing to pay it if they were a real match for me.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Dream Sphere wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 amthe caveat I have is would the MtF genitals require lubrication and not be self-lubricating?
ROFL
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

I am torn between amusement and exasperation. The fact that there is an election about to happen in France, another one about to happen in the UK and the possibility of a World War 3 is being discussed due to tensions on the rise with DPRK, USA, Syria and Russia, and that this is all overshadowed by a discussion on whether you would date a transgender is unbelievable. Utterly unbelievable. I cannot believe that this is happening. If this is what our beautiful forum has fallen to, then I am beside myself. I am having a mental breakdown. I will crumble to pieces. Well, I suppose I'd better contribute to this discussion rather than simply expressing my disgruntlement with the whole thing.

If I had known somebody who was a nice person and treated me well and who I felt a connection towards, the fact of whether they were cisgendered or transgendered would not bother me. In my opinion, there are only two genders, however, this does not discontinue the fact that one may be born in the one that they do not identify with. This can be explained by science. For instance, a man might identify as a woman if they are the youngest child that their mother has had. When a woman is pregnant a lot of times, the body begins to see the foetus as a foreign object and produces antibodies and antigens that feminize it. So when they are growing up, they begin to identify more as a female. It is because of this that if I was dating a transgender woman, who had been born in a male body but had an operation to sex-change them, I would not consider myself in a homosexual relationship. Nevertheless, I am a bisexual anyway, so I don't care.

I didn't look too far down into this thread, but one comment I did see was from Brimstonesalad:
brimstoneSalad wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:09 am Unless you're planning on procreating with the person, why would it matter as long as everything is physically attractive?
I do not plan on procreating. This is for a multitude of reasons: 1. I dislike most children 2. It would be a difficult task to raise children, it is a lot easier and a lot more rewarding to have cats instead and finally 3. I consider it my duty to Mother Earth who is being strangled by the parasite of overpopulation. Nevertheless, I am firmly in disagreement with Brimstonesalad here. If I were to embark on a romantic relationship, appearance would be the least of my concerns. What is more concerning to be are how compatible they are with me in regards to personality, political ideology and whether we could be happy together.

There. Now can we PLEASE get back to discussing politics?
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 pmThere. Now can we PLEASE get back to discussing politics?
Although i share your general disinterest in the subject of this thread, this is not a forum about politics primarily. It's a forum about veganism and other stuff with the sole exception of celebrity gossip. If you don't want to discuss this then just ignore the thread or scan it like I've been doing :)
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

miniboes wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:08 pm
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 pmThere. Now can we PLEASE get back to discussing politics?
Although i share your general disinterest in the subject of this thread, this is not a forum about politics primarily. It's a forum about veganism and other stuff with the sole exception of celebrity gossip. If you don't want to discuss this then just ignore the thread or scan it like I've been doing :)
I'm sorry. I just couldn't help but register my discontent. I now realize I really ought not to have gotten involved.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 pmThe fact that there is an election about to happen in France, another one about to happen in the UK and the possibility of a World War 3 is being discussed due to tensions on the rise with DPRK, USA, Syria and Russia, and that this is all overshadowed by a discussion on whether you would date a transgender is unbelievable.
The transgender question is original and a few of the posts were interesting or entertaining. I can put on the news right now to watch discussions about the things you mention.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.