Do vegans need to own a fork?

Off-topic talk on music, art, literature, games and forum games.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Do vegans need to own a fork?

Post by Jebus »

Apart from twirling the spaghetti, I see no use of owning a fork. Meat eaters use forks to hold the meat still while they cut it with a knife, so I somewhat see why they also use it to eat rice and other foods that are much easier eaten with a spoon. However, other than habit and ridiculous etiquette rules, is there any reason to use a fork?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Do vegans need to own a fork?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Forks are more useful than spoons for awkward items like green beans.
They're often cut too long to fit into your mouth at just any angle, so you need to manipulate the angle of entry more, which forks are good at doing with lower risk of dropping.

Forks are also good for stackable items, like sliced squash, where a bite may be inadequate if relying on a single slice which a spoon can convey.

Forks are also nearly essential for foldable items, like greens or long beans which may hang down from a spoon and slop your chin with a greasy kiss on the way in. A fork can pin it in half or thirds to prevent this. Alternatively, a fork can lift the item above your head as you tilt your mouth up, and lower it into your mouth, unlike a spoon which is liable to release it onto your face.

If you're cutting up all of your veggies very small (pea sized, for instance) in food preparation, then a fork has few if any benefits over a spoon, unless you're trying to eat them from liquid and you don't want the liquid too. Or if you don't mind getting food all over your face and lap, but at that point a spoon is useless too and you might as well just put your face in the bowl. ;)

It's when you're dealing with larger pieces that, even without a knife, a fork makes them more manageable.

It's worth noting that chop sticks can do pretty much anything a fork can uniquely do if you know how to use them (they have the ability to spear things too, and can grasp things into a folded position). But they are limited in their ability to scoop smaller pieces; a fork can serve dual purpose and cover much of what a spoon is good at as well.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I always use a fork, almost exclusively for the purpose of pushing stuff onto my spoon. Sometimes 'cutting' falafel and other soft stuff with the side. I could use something else for this purpose, but a fork has some additional benefits, as Brimstone points out.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
charlotte-reva

Post by charlotte-reva »

I eat with myfingers ! no need for an aggresive ugly metal object!
ModVegan

Post by ModVegan »

miniboes wrote:I always use a fork, almost exclusively for the purpose of pushing stuff onto my spoon. Sometimes 'cutting' falafel and other soft stuff with the side. I could use something else for this purpose, but a fork has some additional benefits, as Brimstone points out.
I use a fork to eat {vegan} ice cream. I only use spoons for removing sauces from jars, lol. For some reason my husband uses a spoon for everything, which drives me crazy.

I also love chopsticks. I've never tried eating ice cream with them, but I probably could :D
Sapphire Lightning

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

Seitan, pasta, stir fries (unless you use chopsticks), salad, tempeh. I use a fork more often than I use a spoon. I almost never have to use a knife tho.
Carnist: Kills animals and then takes from their bodies
Vegetarian: Takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable
Vegan: Avoids unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable
cornivore

Post by cornivore »

Jebus wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:06 pm Do vegans need to own a fork?
Not if you rent one at a restaurant.

Well, I'll use them more for cooking, like to hold a potato or beet while peeling it (without skinning my fingers), or a large one to check if those are cooked thoroughly (without getting my hand too close to the heat).