is eating eggs ethical?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
eloine
Diet: Vegan

Re: is eating eggs ethical?

Post by eloine »

brimstoneSalad wrote:[quote="eloine"
Choline is in a lot of things in small amounts, so it adds up if you eat well.
I don't know but I use chronometer.com
and it seems I am always very low on choline even if I eat lot of vegetables, but I checked that one egg gives you lot of choline
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

No!
In this video a very intelligent man explains how eating eggs is wrong and not vegetarian/vegan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq57c80Qh7M
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote: I don't know but I use chronometer.com
and it seems I am always very low on choline even if I eat lot of vegetables, but I checked that one egg gives you lot of choline
You can change your target down to around 300 mg, which should be fine. Even less than that should be fine; it's not easy to become choline deficient as long as you're eating beans and soy. If you aren't getting 300 mg, I suggest you increase consumption of beans (which are one of the healthiest foods on the planet).

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/choline
Jack Norris wrote:The Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) for choline is 550 mg/day for men and 425 mg/day for women. It is based on only one study comparing those amounts to 50 mg/day, with no intermediary amounts examined. Eating less than 50 mg/day can result in liver damage, but it is very unlikely that a vegan would have such a low intake.
Basically, we know only 50 mg a day is bad. We're not sure how much choline people actually need. The numbers for the DRI on this are probably unnecessarily high. Many populations subsist without problems on much lower amounts of choline, and the choline levels in many clinical studies (with no evidence of deficiency) were under 300 mg.
Jack Norris wrote:The data on choline and chronic disease (cardiovascular disease, dementia, and cancer) is somewhat mixed. Ideal amounts appear to be about 300 mg per day. Most vegans probably get about that much from the foods they eat.

Vegan women who are considering getting pregnant should make sure they are meeting the DRI for choline to reduce the risk of neural tube defects, and might need a modest supplement.
Lower choline content is actually one of the benefits of a vegan diet, since amounts over 300 mg a day can increase risk for heart disease and certain cancers.

You might want to supplement if your intake is low and you're trying to get pregnant. One of the best supplements available is soy lecithin. But I don't suggest supplementing on it unless you're trying to get pregnant. In which case, a vegan prenatal like that offered by DEVA is probably good.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz is trolling.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:No!
In this video a very intelligent man explains how eating eggs is wrong and not vegetarian/vegan:
You know that man is crazy.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Master of the Forum
Diet: Ostrovegan

Post by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz is trolling.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:No!
You know that man is crazy.
We are all crazy.
Third Person Groove

Post by Third Person Groove »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:14 pm

It's important to remember that like people, chickens are different.
Some chickens love and care for their eggs, and are very possessive of them like with her babies. Taking these eggs would cause the chicken distress and harm her. Other chickens just lay their eggs anywhere and leave them, and don't care about it.

SO, it depends on the individual. Of course we should not steal a chicken's eggs. But if the chicken doesn't want them, maybe it's not stealing.
It's an interesting discussion. I think we need to learn more about chickens. I never want to eat eggs, though.

Do you have any sources backing this claim up? Are there any studies showing the phycology of a chicken and taking her eggs?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Third Person Groove wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:47 pm Do you have any sources backing this claim up? Are there any studies showing the phycology of a chicken and taking her eggs?
These are based on common anecdotal reports. Like I said, I think we need to learn more about chickens.

However, it would be surprising not to see some variability in psychology, since it's true in all species including humans (psychology derives largely from genetics). Even some human mothers don't care for their children, although this is not typical... and could be caused by environmental factors. If more genetic, perhaps the breeding of chickens has promoted this? It's not clear.