Change of forum name?

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Should the name be changed to make the forum less alienating?

Yes, change it
71%
No, keep it the same
29%

Total votes: 21

miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Change of forum name?

Post by miniboes »

RedAppleGP wrote:
miniboes wrote:Good brainstorm, EquALLity. I like thoughtful vegan. Some things that pop into my head:
  • VeganThought (has a nice ring to it)
    VeganReason (it rhymes!)
    Vegan Freethinker
Good thinking. Do you think we should punctuate it with "Forum"?
Yeah, I think these three names sound pretty good with the word forum added.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

miniboes wrote:Good brainstorm, EquALLity. I like thoughtful vegan. Some things that pop into my head:
  • VeganThought (has a nice ring to it)
    VeganReason (it rhymes!)
    Vegan Freethinker
Thanks! :)

I think those are great also.
Nice idea with 'freethinker', because that kind of implies non-religion but is also about open-mindedness in general.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Unknownfromheaven
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Unknownfromheaven »

Voted, i do hope TVA will also mention deists in the future (among atheists, theists, etc) discussions.
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force..We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” ~ Max Planck - Quantum Theory and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

To those who think it should stay the same: Please explain your reasoning; you may have thought of something we didn't. I hope we can hear all perspectives here.

Remember, we can always change it back if there's a problem. It's just a couple settings.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote:To those who think it should stay the same: Please explain your reasoning; you may have thought of something we didn't. I hope we can hear all perspectives here.
I think the vegan/atheist combination is something that makes us unique compared to general vegan forums.
I like that the atheist part sometimes attracts atheists who incorrectly believe that they are rational.
I think veganism and atheism share much in common and this is what first attracted me to the forum.
I believe atheism attracts more than it repels people to join the forum.
Our biggest boost in new members happened after the Dillahunty video. I don't think the video would have been made had we not been an atheist forum and I doubt so many people would have joined the forum after had they seen us as primarily a vegan forum.
Also, isn't it a bit disrespectful to the founder of our forum to change the name?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote:Also, isn't it a bit disrespectful to the founder of our forum to change the name?
I asked him first before making the thread. There would still be a vegan atheist section here.
Jebus wrote: I think the vegan/atheist combination is something that makes us unique compared to general vegan forums.
We definitely wouldn't become just like the others, which are broadly lacking in critical thinking, or not based on debate/discussion at all.
Any potential name change, I would hope, could still distinguish us.
Jebus wrote:I like that the atheist part sometimes attracts atheists who incorrectly believe that they are rational.
I think veganism and atheism share much in common and this is what first attracted me to the forum.
I believe atheism attracts more than it repels people to join the forum.
From my perspective, there seems to be no way to know if it attracts or repels more: we have a sample bias in only seeing those it has attracted.

Unfortunately, most of the atheists we get here are also relativists/objectivists/nihilists, and they are only very rarely open to change on those views.
People who consider themselves more agnostic, but may dislike the associations of atheism, are probably going to be more open, but wouldn't necessarily be attracted.

My bigger concern is who can promote us. Right now, only The Vegan Atheist can promote the forum without alienating his demographic.
If we changed the name, we could get promotion from third parties (whose content isn't about atheism), and other youtubers like Unnatural Vegan and probably others too.
Jebus wrote:Our biggest boost in new members happened after the Dillahunty video. I don't think the video would have been made had we not been an atheist forum and I doubt so many people would have joined the forum after had they seen us as primarily a vegan forum.
That's true, but that was also a one-off. TVA wasn't able to do another.
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

I like the "Vegan Reason Forum" it makes me think that this forum is a place for reasonable people who want to debate on veganism. The only down side is if someone is looking for an Atheist Forum this one may not pop up as fast.
Its a nice feeling when people can agree on something. Don't you agree?
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

I think we should distance ourselves from the labels of veganism and atheism. Both seem to be unpopular terms on the Internet and give outsiders the impression that this forum is an echo chamber for adherents of these ideologies. Instead I suggest we advertise this forum as a discussion center for reason and science (whose logical conclusions are veganism and atheism anyways). This will attract reasonable people, without immediately turning them off, and like others have noted, it allows third parties to advertise it.

I'm not good at naming things, but here are my best tries:
• Logos Forum
• Forum of Science and Reason
• People's Forum of Science and Reason (edit: maybe not this one, it makes us sound like communists)
• Critical (Thought?) Discussions
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:I think we should distance ourselves from the labels of veganism and atheism. Both seem to be unpopular terms on the Internet and give outsiders the impression that this forum is an echo chamber for adherents of these ideologies. Instead I suggest we advertise this forum as a discussion center for reason and science (whose logical conclusions are veganism and atheism anyways). This will attract reasonable people, without immediately turning them off, and like others have noted, it allows third parties to advertise it.

I'm not good at naming things, but here are my best tries:
• Logos Forum
• Forum of Science and Reason
• People's Forum of Science and Reason (edit: maybe not this one, it makes us sound like communists)
• Critical (Thought?) Discussions
I think we should balance out being distinguished and inclusive (or non-alienating). I think that these names might be a bit too vague, and they don't really include anything about animal rights, which is largely what we discuss here.

What do you think about that? Maybe you were going for being kind of vague?
I'm just worried that being too non-specific won't spark as much interest, and won't really attract people who are into animal rights (since it's not mentioned in these titles). Vegan Youtubers might also not be interested in promoting the forum when it doesn't mention animal rights.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Hold on, do you guys think that that reason why we have a general lack of forum members (primarily theists) on the forum is due to the name?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci