Change of forum name?

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Should the name be changed to make the forum less alienating?

Yes, change it
71%
No, keep it the same
29%

Total votes: 21

brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Change of forum name?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The "Atheist" part might put people off, and we don't discuss religion here much (part of the reason being that virtually no theists come around here, maybe due to the atheist part and confusion as to whether they would even be welcome)

If we changed the name, TheVeganAtheist stuff would be in a subsection, and the larger forum would be more generally for reason based vegan issues (and hopefully more welcoming to the religious, which could also enable more atheism debates in the long run).

Other popular vegan youtubers who don't have atheist branding could also promote the forum without alienating their viewer bases.

Please vote, and post any thoughts.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Change of forum name?

Post by Jebus »

If we removed "atheist" what would make us unique and interesting compared to other vegan forums?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Jebus wrote:If we removed "atheist" what would make us unique and interesting compared to other vegan forums?
The Vegan Forum does sound lame.

Anyways, I'm a bit mixed about this. I mean firstly, most of the people that join (even if they don't post anything), come from TheVeganAtheist's YouTube channel. They usually come to debate religion and veganism (plus, judging by the views on his channel, more people come for the religion). Plus, it's TheVeganAtheist's forum. It's his brand, and that's what makes him, well, him.

But, you're obviously right when it comes to debating religion. I just checked the Atheist forums. The Atheist forums do get topics, but the Atheist Support forum gets one a week, and the Atheists VS Theist debates forum hardly gets anything. I mean, the only theist that I can think of with some form of rationality that is currently active on this forum is Unknownfromheaven, but that's where it ends. No one really comes for the theist stuff anymore. The Vegan Support Forums and the Off Topic Forums get the most traction. However, I'm starting to notice that the Vegan forums are slowly getting less popular, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I can't help bit feel as though the theists who do come if we make a name change will feel alienated when they see the religious debates. But that's just me.

Anyway, if we change the name, what should it relate to? Veganism? Or just an off topic general forum?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Yes, perhaps both parts of the name should be changed to something else, although I don't know what.

Also, I suspect the user labels for religion and diet might also be counterproductive to bringing in people who don't fall under the Atheist+Vegan category
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I think changing it is a good idea. No idea what would be a better name though.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Insert name here

Post by Insert name here »

If changing the name brings in more people, then I am all for it.
Insert signature here.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

I agree that the atheist part puts some people off and might explain why we have so little religious people come here.
And it's not like we can't change it back if we decide the new name doesn't solve that problem.

I'm not sure what the new name should be... 'The Reasonable Vegan Forum'? :P
'The Thoughtful Vegan Forum'?

The vegan part could put people off also who have a bad association with the word.
'The Animal Rights Discussion Forum?'
Or even just 'The Open-Minded Discussion Forum'?

Maybe replacing 'atheist' with 'humanist' or 'secular' could help also.
'The Humanist Vegan Forum'
'The Secular Vegan Forum'
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Good brainstorm, EquALLity. I like thoughtful vegan. Some things that pop into my head:
  • VeganThought (has a nice ring to it)
    VeganReason (it rhymes!)
    Vegan Freethinker
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

miniboes wrote:Good brainstorm, EquALLity. I like thoughtful vegan. Some things that pop into my head:
  • VeganThought (has a nice ring to it)
    VeganReason (it rhymes!)
    Vegan Freethinker
Good thinking. Do you think we should punctuate it with "Forum"?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

I like the word "reason" or "reasonable"
Mostly because it doesn't sound too pretentious, and I haven't seen it molested by faith-based ideologues, unlike "free thought", "rational", "skeptic", etc