Are you surprised/disappointed by the slow spread of veganism?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Are you surprised/disappointed by the slow spread of veganism?

Post by Jebus »

Yes, we seem to making strides but oh so slowly. I keep reading promising articles but I work at a resort represented by a wide variety of nationalities and although we have over 10000 visitors per year I am yet to encounter a vegan ( I would know since I am briefed on dietary preferences etc.) I realize that vegans may be younger and unwilling (or unable) to travel to Mauritius, but there should at least be a few.

Why is the expansion of veganism so much slower than the advancement of vegetarianism in the 1960s? With the help of the Internet, vegan celebrities, and all the favourable research, shouldn't one expect a similar boom?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
knot
Master in Training

Re: Are you surprised/disappointed by the slow spread of veganism?

Post by knot »

I think it's only gonna explode once cultured meat has been perfected, so maybe in 10-20 years. At that point, people who will still insist on eating meat from animals will probably be treated as a social pariah

Having studied psychology, nothing about the stupidity of humans surprises me anymore. I'm only surprised that things aren't going much worse than they are
Robinwomb

Post by Robinwomb »

Money walks, and the meat and dairy industries are VERY powerful, and supported by governments (even the newest food plate is fraught with politics). These industries have influenced and brainwashed human cultures for many many years. Overcoming that is no easy feat.
Aramiss

Post by Aramiss »

I'm not surprised at all, in my life I've met one other vegan (and very few vegitarians). Meat is ingrained as very healthy (and necessary), same with dairy. Vegitarians and vegans are seen as extremists :(
I've recently became vegan, I get so many questions about my health (people who are very worried I'll get sick). I've even had medical personnel tell me it's unhealthy :/ Safe to say these things would sway most people back (I literally can't eat meat or dairy without getting sick so I kept researching to make sure I wasn't going to make myself sicker).

People have very little idea about proper nutrition (I was one of them, I had no idea and only really started looking into it when I got sick). It just seems safer to just keep eating meat and dairy.

I think better education in schools regarding nutrition (and farming practices for older children) would be very beneficial.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

It's not just slow, it's practically stagnant. There are tons of ex-vegans then vegans, and as it stands, vegetarians only made up 5% of the population since 1998. It hasn't moved at all.
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/
vegan81vzla

Post by vegan81vzla »

Perhaps the movement never gives people the right reasons for the masses to remain or even consider veganism at all
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

vegan81vzla wrote:Perhaps the movement never gives people the right reasons for the masses to remain or even consider veganism at all
Oh? Like doomsday prophecies? ;)

You're right, but for the wrong reasons. Bullshit like deontology and pseudoscientific diets are pushing people away from veganism. Consequential ethics, environmental concern, and healthy scientific vegan diets pose no threat to veganism.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Jebus wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:55 pm Why is the expansion of veganism so much slower than the advancement of vegetarianism in the 1960s? With the help of the Internet, vegan celebrities, and all the favourable research, shouldn't one expect a similar boom?
Vegetarianism is easier than Veganism.

It is very easy to avoid meat in a meal for the average person.

Veganism, however, requires avoiding meat and dairy.

I can easily avoid meat, but dairy is in EVERTYTHING. Plus you have to consider that the people on the fringe of ethical consumption consider "murder" of a sentient animal to be abhorrent, but merely enslaving an animal (for dairy consumption) is less evil. (Reduction of harm and all)

This is why I suggest advocacy for Vegetariansim instead of Veganism. Reduction of harm first, which may lead to a more ethical view of dietary considerations.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
fredericlavender

Post by fredericlavender »

I'd say very happy with the progress. The boom over the past year has been the biggest I have seen in my lifetime! It will catch on and it's always good to remember, it will catch on quicker if it's not forced upon :)
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

fredericlavender wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm I'd say very happy with the progress. The boom over the past year has been the biggest I have seen in my lifetime! It will catch on and it's always good to remember, it will catch on quicker if it's not forced upon :)
I'm glad to see this sentiment spreading. :D
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.