Is the academy award committee unfair to black actors?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Mateo3112
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: Is the academy award committee unfair to black actors?

Post by Mateo3112 »

Film Theory did a video on the subject. Not specifically on black people, but on how the academy award committee favors some people over other in general.
For example, according to the statistics shown in the video, a good chunk of the academy award committee worked on making movies themselves, which is why movies about movies always get nominated.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure" -George Carlin
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Post by EquALLity »

knot wrote:A news show called The Young Nazis or The Neonazis wouldn't necessarily advocate genocide either, but it would still get shut down regardless of what content they had. To me that's a funny double standard. TYT have also made a video about how the Washington Redskins need to change their name because it's offensive.. Irony overload!!
...It doesn't seem like you were making an innocent point about the name of TYT being offensive. ;)

By the way, I did some searching, and found this source: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/young-turk.html
Young turk

Meaning

A young person, full of new ideas and impatient for change.

Origin

The figurative expression 'young turks' meaning 'the new breed, impatient for change' began to be used in the early 20th century.
So that explains it.

Also see:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/young-turk
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... ung%20turk
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/de ... young-turk

There are multiple definitions. One is a genocidal group, and the other is a progressive who wants radical change.
Which do you think TYT refers to? :P
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

EquALLity wrote:
knot wrote:A news show called The Young Nazis or The Neonazis wouldn't necessarily advocate genocide either, but it would still get shut down regardless of what content they had. To me that's a funny double standard. TYT have also made a video about how the Washington Redskins need to change their name because it's offensive.. Irony overload!!
...It doesn't seem like you were making an innocent point about the name of TYT being offensive. ;)
There are also other reasons people have nicknamed them The Young Nazis. Namely their anti-Jew position and the constant race-baiting
There are multiple definitions. One is a genocidal group, and the other is a progressive who wants radical change.
Which do you think TYT refers to? :P
I don't know! As long as Cenk doesn't publicly and clearly retract his denial of the Armenian genocide there's no way of knowing if he's using the name to pay homage to a political party that wiped out 1.5 million Armenians
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

knot wrote:There are also other reasons people have nicknamed them The Young Nazis. Namely their anti-Jew position and the constant race-baiting
Anti-Jew positions? Oh come on.
And race-baiting?

Do you have any evidence for this stuff?
knot wrote: I don't know! As long as Cenk doesn't publicly and clearly retract his denial of the Armenian genocide there's no way of knowing if he's using the name to pay homage to a political party that wiped out 1.5 million Armenians

His co-host is an Armenian who made a video dedicated to remembering the Armenian genocide, and the definition about a progressive who wants radical change describes him exactly.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Oh, Cenk actually addressed the name issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzNhpD7U4-g

Yep, it's not a historical reference.
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Just take their academy awards video as an example. They just jump the shark and conclude that black people didn't get nominated because of racism when there could a million different reasons. They help spread the bullshit narrative that blacks are persecuted and whites are racists. It falls completely to the ground when you look at the statistics
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^What about the Antisemitism?

I'm not sure about the academy awards thing, but black people in America are definitely persecuted.
They are disproportionately arrested for committing the same crimes as white people, and cops shoot them unreasonably more often.

What do you mean, the narrative that 'whites are racist'?
Many reporters at TYT are white. They don't think all white people are racist.
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

^What about the Antisemitism?
I'd more describe it as weird priorities or a heavy bias in their reporting. For example on the day ISIS killed 100+ people in Turkey they didn't report on it, but instead brought a story about some Jews in Germany who pushed a reporter around. Lol

Then there are the infinite false equivalances, whereby USA and Israel's military are equated with Hamaz -- yes, the human shield-wielding, suicide-bombing terrorist organization. There's a huge ideological divide between the Palestinians and the Israelis that left-wingers love to pretend doesn't exist.

Just read the title of this video. Now I'm not going to watch a 30 min video of Chunky Yogurt talking, but I'm 99,99% sure he will not at any point prove what the title says is remotely accurate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63jF8GMPuM
They are disproportionately arrested for committing the same crimes as white people, and cops shoot them unreasonably more often.
No

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/upsho ... d=tw-share
I'm not sure about the academy awards thing, but black people in America are definitely persecuted.
By who? Themselves? 93% of black murders are committed by other black people. Black people are also much more criminal than any other group, even when adjusting for socio-economic status. They should work on fixing their social issues instead of playing a blame game that leads nowhere

What do you mean, the narrative that 'whites are racist'?
Many reporters at TYT are white. They don't think all white people are racist.
Just search for "racist" on their channel. They're obsessed with race like none other. It's very lazy and unhelpful to make it seem like complex social issues are just about racism. It also fuels hatred and unhealthy victim narratives
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

knot wrote:I'd more describe it as weird priorities or a heavy bias in their reporting. For example on the day ISIS killed 100+ people in Turkey they didn't report on it, but instead brought a story about some Jews in Germany who pushed a reporter around. Lol
I'm not sure about this, but I do know that TYT was reporting about ISIS before the mainstream media.
knot wrote:Then there are the infinite false equivalances, whereby USA and Israel's military are equated with Hamaz -- yes, the human shield-wielding, suicide-bombing terrorist organization. There's a huge ideological divide between the Palestinians and the Israelis that left-wingers love to pretend doesn't exist.
Did they actually equate the two? Do you have as source?

Even if they did, it's a huge reach to call that Antisemitism. There's quite a large difference between criticizing the Israeli military and being bigoted against Jews.
Seems you're doing what you're accusing TYT of- assuming things are motivated by racism/bigotry when there's no reason to.
knot wrote: Just read the title of this video. Now I'm not going to watch a 30 min video of Chunky Yogurt talking, but I'm 99,99% sure he will not at any point prove what the title says is remotely accurate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63jF8GMPuM
Chunky Yogurt? Because he's overweight? :roll:

Anyway, again, that title is not Antisemetic. I can't really watch the video now (I will later though as it seems interesting), but criticizing Israel is radically different from being bigoted against Jews.
It baffles me that you're suggesting this.
To understand how this can be, let us start with the statistics on police killings. According to the F.B.I.’s Supplementary Homicide Report, 31.8 percent of people shot by the police were African-American, a proportion more than two and a half times the 13.2 percent of African-Americans in the general population. While this data may be imperfect, other sources in individual states or cities, such as in California or New York City, show very similar patterns.

The data is unequivocal. Police killings are a race problem: African-Americans are being killed disproportionately and by a wide margin. And police bias may be responsible. But this data does not prove that biased police officers are more likely to shoot blacks in any given encounter.
Seems to support my argument.
Arrest data lets us measure this possibility. For the entire country, 28.9 percent of arrestees were African-American. This number is not very different from the 31.8 percent of police-shooting victims who were African-Americans. If police discrimination were a big factor in the actual killings, we would have expected a larger gap between the arrest rate and the police-killing rate.
Sure, ok. Because the police are more suspicious of black people and investigate them disproportionately (like the article mentioned may be the case).

Here's an example of evidence to support that, brought to you by TYT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yku-MSkN9cM
knot wrote:By who? Themselves? 93% of black murders are committed by other black people. Black people are also much more criminal than any other group, even when adjusting for socio-economic status. They should work on fixing their social issues instead of playing a blame game that leads nowhere
Why do people always reference that statistic about black people, but never mention that most white murders are committed by other white people also?
Of course most black murders are by black people, because they often live near each other. That's not what I'm talking about.

They are systematically persecuted by our government by being prosecuted for crimes at a much greater rate than white people, even though the groups commit those crimes at very similar rates (like with marijuana use, for example).

There's a huge controversy on whether or not government buildings can hang the confederate flag.

They get killed and pulled over by the police at greater rates than white people, and when they organize and raise awareness, their organizations are labeled hate groups.

Many conservatives (including some running for President) are against the President because he is black. Of course, they don't explicitly say it, but they question his place of birth and college education, and they call him things like 'the food stamp President'.

And can you imagine if a bunch of black people (or Muslims) did an open-carry protest?
knot wrote:Just search for "racist" on their channel. They're obsessed with race like none other. It's very lazy and unhelpful to make it seem like complex social issues are just about racism. It also fuels hatred and unhealthy victim narratives
What? What does them talking about valid racial issues that are prevalent in the country have to do with fueling hatred or claims that all white people are racist?

Even if they weren't valid issues, how does that promote hatred or racism against white people?

You seem to be taking that there are racial issues personally. It reminds me of this conversation I had awhile ago with someone who said that promoting the idea that male privilege exists in western society fuels hatred against men, or something.
But that doesn't make sense. Just because you are apart of a privileged group doesn't mean that you yourself are an oppressor.
Denying that the issues exist, however, enables those oppressors.
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Did they actually equate the two? Do you have as source?
Yes, somewhere in that video he says "Israel and the US are the real terrorists", or something like that

Even if they did, it's a huge reach to call that Antisemitism. There's quite a large difference between criticizing the Israeli military and being bigoted against Jews.
Seems you're doing what you're accusing TYT of- assuming things are motivated by racism/bigotry when there's no reason to.
No, I just said their reporting was "anti-Jewish" (don't know of a better word for it), because equating Israelis with the rock-throwing, suicide-bombing, wife-beating losers that populate Palestine is not fair.
Chunky Yogurt? Because he's overweight? :roll:
That's just what his name sounds like to me: ))
Sure, ok. Because the police are more suspicious of black people and investigate them disproportionately (like the article mentioned may be the case).
Blacks are reported as being perpetrators of crime more often, so it only makes sense that the cops investigate them more
Why do people always reference that statistic about black people, but never mention that most white murders are committed by other white people also?
Of course most black murders are by black people, because they often live near each other. That's not what I'm talking about.
Yes, but blacks kill blacks slightly more often than whites kill whites, and they commit many more murders in general per capita. If they don't want to be stereotyped by the police, they should stop giving the police good reasons to stereotype them. Simple! And if black people want to reduce their risk of getting shot by the police with 99,9% they should comply with the police officers requests, not punch the officer in the face and not try and grab the officer's gun. In other words, do the exact opposite of what Trayvon Martin did
They are systematically persecuted by our government by being prosecuted for crimes at a much greater rate than white people, even though the groups commit those crimes at very similar rates (like with marijuana use, for example).

I don't know where that statistics is from, but it needs to take some things into account to be legit. Like, repeat offenses, amount of drugs, etc.

Many conservatives (including some running for President) are against the President because he is black. Of course, they don't explicitly say it, but they question his place of birth and college education, and they call him things like 'the food stamp President'.
You can't just assume they're racially motivated. American politics seems to be full of mud-slinging. They're just attacking him because he's a democrat, their political opponent. All politicans get flak, especially the ones who are on either end of the PC spectrum. Just look at how many personal attacks Trump gets. If anything, Obama's blackness most likely benefitted him hugely
And can you imagine if a bunch of black people (or Muslims) did an open-carry protest?
Stereotypes often do exist for a good reason, eventhough they are not always fair in practice. The police have good reasons to be more concerned about black people or Muslims openly carrying guns around. Similarily it makes sense to be more worried about white males in the context of school shootings
What? What does them talking about valid racial issues that are prevalent in the country have to do with fueling hatred or claims that all white people are racist?
They're fueling a racial divide and enabling a faith-based victim narrative of black people. Where are the Jim Crow laws? Where are the people in favor of the KKK? Nowhere. They're just arguing for an invisible, intangible, racist system of oppression. It's very similar to feminists talking about patriarchy in the West. All of these issues have logical social explanations that are completely unrelated to skin color, but TYT doesn't want to hold minorities responsible for anything. It's easier (and more popular) to just blame white people's inherent racism for all the world's problems

TYT outright accused the academy award board of being racists. But what do the numbers show? They're wrong

Even if they weren't valid issues, how does that promote hatred or racism against white people?
For the same reason 3rd wave feminism produces women who are more antagonistic towards men. False narratives about patriarchy or white supremacist governments are divisive and mentally unhealthy