Is the academy award committee unfair to black actors?

General philosophy message board for Discussion and debate on other philosophical issues not directly related to veganism. Metaphysics, religion, theist vs. atheist debates, politics, general science discussion, etc.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Is the academy award committee unfair to black actors?

Post by Jebus »

I have my doubts. Since only 13% of the US population is black it wouldn't at all be statistically unusual if no black actors were nominated in 2016. Of course, it also depends on the percentage of roles given to black actors. I would be interested in knowing if that number is higher or lower than 13%. As a result of all this, I'm sure next year we will see blacks overrepresented among Oscar nominees.

On another note, why are there male and female categories for best actor? Why would it matter if you are a man or woman when acting?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Re: Is the academy award committee unfair to black actors?

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

Jebus wrote:I have my doubts. Since only 13% of the US population is black it wouldn't at all be statistically unusual if no black actors were nominated in 2016. Of course, it also depends on the percentage of roles given to black actors. I would be interested in knowing if that number is higher or lower than 13%.
I did some searching, and I haven't been able to find anything. The closest thing I've found, is politically motivated authors telling you that blacks are underrepresented.
Jebus wrote:As a result of all this, I'm sure next year we will see blacks overrepresented among Oscar nominees.
Actors being judged based on merit would just be racist!
Jebus wrote:On another note, why are there male and female categories for best actor? Why would it matter if you are a man or woman when acting?
I can only make a conjecture, but I'm guessing the male / female categories are a product of the arbitrary segregation of the sexes (since the Oscars started in 1929).
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

I can't find much other than whiny articles by regressive news outlets -.-

However I did come across this stats on a youtube video The Young Nazis did on the topic.. I'm not sure how accurate it is
since 2000 there have been 80 nominations for best actor
10 were black
12.5% of best actor nominations went to black actors in a country that is 12% black
3/16 winners were black
thats 18.75%
and black actors make up around 6.5% of all actors
so either black winners are 3 times over represented (compared to the % of actors) or by 1.5 times compared to the US black population
or
maths is racist
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

knot wrote:I can't find much other than whiny articles by regressive news outlets -.-
Ban this misogynistic, ableist, homophobic Nazi shitlord! Am I doing this right? ;)
knot wrote:However I did come across this stats on a youtube video The Young Nazis did on the topic.. I'm not sure how accurate it is
Were there any sources in the description? Will they respond if you ask in the comments?
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^Are you referring to The Young Turks, knot?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

EquALLity wrote:^Are you referring to The Young Turks, knot?
Yep!!
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^...Why are you calling them The Young Nazis? :?
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Because both The Young Turks and the Nazis carried out genocides. It's just funny to me that you can create a news show with one name and not the other. Maybe that says something about out education system

The founder of the TYT network is also an Armenian genocide denier
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

knot wrote:Because both The Young Turks and the Nazis carried out genocides. It's just funny to me that you can create a news show with one name and not the other. Maybe that says something about out education system

The founder of the TYT network is also an Armenian genocide denier
Obviously The Young Turks we're talking about don't encourage genocide, so calling them Nazis is ridiculous.
I'm guessing you just call them that because you think they're too PC.

Yeah, it's true that Cenk Uygur has denied the Armenian genocide in the past. The US government still maintains that that wasn't a genocide, also.
But from my understanding, that was a very long time ago, and he has been silent about it for over a decade. He should really address what said about it, but it's still completely unfair to call him a Nazi.

Note that Ana Kasparian dedicated an entire video to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFBxKhADoYU
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

A news show called The Young Nazis or The Neonazis wouldn't necessarily advocate genocide either, but it would still get shut down regardless of what content they had. To me that's a funny double standard. TYT have also made a video about how the Washington Redskins need to change their name because it's offensive.. Irony overload!!