How to Deal With The Troll

Technical problems, questions, comments, and suggestions for the forum and wiki.

Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

How to Deal With The Troll

Post by Red »

Now gentlemen, I'm pretty sure you've all seen the forum troll known as Dizzy. brimstoneSalad wants to ban him, but I have the better solution: ignore them. The troll wants to be banned, as that is it's prime objective as a.. well, troll. Trust me, I know: I was a troll once. On YouTube, I had a troll account with the main objective to piss off so many people, so much so that I would get banned. Then I'd just create another account, then the cycle would continue. But if you ban the troll, they would just keep coming back, then the vicious cycle would continue. As conventional internet wisdom states: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. Don't even acknowledge them. If they see they aren't getting any attention, they would see that the forum is not worth their time and go off and find a forum that will pay attention to them. Now, as for the spamming, I recommend a way to stop Dizzy from putting a bunch of shit into one post, or at least put a limit on the amount of consecutive posts you have on one topic or one forum. So, ignore the troll, don't give him what he wants, and we'll all be one big happy family.

And Dizzy if you're reading this, don't worry, this is the last time any avid forum member will concern you.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Re: How to Deal With The Troll

Post by EquALLity »

I completely agree to just ignore him. He's not going to keep trolling if people don't respond to it... but I think we're going to have to be really consistent. Part of me thinks just replying to this is part of the problem.

I would just support a ban, but then he'd simply make another account, like you said. Unless his IP can be banned or something, and not just his account.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I fully support a ban, since he is clearly breaking the rules. However, as I've said a while ago, ignoring him is indeed the best way to go.
Pro ignoring tip: go to his profile and add him as a foe, you won't see his posts.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Heads up: Dizzy is under a new account name, called Blizzy. Remember your training..
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
thetruemasterofgames

Post by thetruemasterofgames »

EquALLity wrote:
I would just support a ban, but then he'd simply make another account, like you said. Unless his IP can be banned or something, and not just his account.
Ip ban could be bypassed if someone has a ghost or bouncing ghost ip then the ip ban can't stic and if they are in a public spot to get wifi it will block anyone from being on the forums from that area
Blizzy

Post by Blizzy »

RedAppleGP wrote:Now gentlemen, I'm pretty sure you've all seen the forum troll known as Dizzy. brimstoneSalad wants to ban him, but I have the better solution: ignore them. The troll wants to be banned, as that is it's prime objective as a.. well, troll. Trust me, I know: I was a troll once. On YouTube, I had a troll account with the main objective to piss off so many people, so much so that I would get banned. Then I'd just create another account, then the cycle would continue. But if you ban the troll, they would just keep coming back, then the vicious cycle would continue. As conventional internet wisdom states: DO NOT FEED THE TROLL. Don't even acknowledge them. If they see they aren't getting any attention, they would see that the forum is not worth their time and go off and find a forum that will pay attention to them. Now, as for the spamming, I recommend a way to stop Dizzy from putting a bunch of shit into one post, or at least put a limit on the amount of consecutive posts you have on one topic or one forum. So, ignore the troll, don't give him what he wants, and we'll all be one big happy family.

And Dizzy if you're reading this, don't worry, this is the last time any avid forum member will concern you.
Dizzy wasn't a troll, you should unban him.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

miniboes wrote:Pro ignoring tip: go to his profile and add him as a foe, you won't see his posts.
Sounds good. I now have a single foe!
Blizzy

Post by Blizzy »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:
miniboes wrote:Pro ignoring tip: go to his profile and add him as a foe, you won't see his posts.
Sounds good. I now have a single foe!
I can see you, but you can't see me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

RedAppleGP wrote:Heads up: Dizzy is under a new account name, called Blizzy. Remember your training..
I'll remember my training. I thought that Dizzy was sometimes mildly amusing but it's now clear that he is a troll, due to his excessive use of caps (which he has repeatedly been told not to use), and now his usage of a new account (which is obviously still him).

I will now ignore all of Dizzy's and Blizzy's posts. Furthermore if I see a new member named Fizzy, Jizzy, etc, then I'll ignore him too.

Everyone: please ignore GreenAppleGP. His profile picture is a poorly photoshopped imitation of RedAppleGP's profile picture, and I think he is the same person as Dizzy/Blizzy. Also, as far as I can tell, RedAppleGP has no reason to create a new account and he has stated in the past that he dislikes green apples.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
GreenAppleGP
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by GreenAppleGP »

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:
RedAppleGP wrote:Heads up: Dizzy is under a new account name, called Blizzy. Remember your training..
I'll remember my training. I thought that Dizzy was sometimes mildly amusing but it's now clear that he is a troll, due to his excessive use of caps (which he has repeatedly been told not to use), and now his usage of a new account (which is obviously still him).

I will now ignore all of Dizzy's and Blizzy's posts. Furthermore if I see a new member named Fizzy, Jizzy, etc, then I'll ignore him too.

Everyone: please ignore GreenAppleGP. His profile picture is a poorly photoshopped imitation of RedAppleGP's profile picture, and I think he is the same person as Dizzy/Blizzy. Also, as far as I can tell, RedAppleGP has no reason to create a new account and he has stated in the past that he dislikes green apples.
And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids.