Dietary Cholesterol- Not a Concern?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Dietary Cholesterol- Not a Concern?

Post by EquALLity »

http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines ... 1/d1-2.asp
health.org wrote:Cholesterol. Previously, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommended that cholesterol intake be limited to no more than 300 mg/day. The 2015 DGAC will not bring forward this recommendation because available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol, consistent with the conclusions of the AHA/ACC report.2 35 Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption.
Opinions?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Dietary Cholesterol- Not a Concern?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

From what I have read, 300 mg was not low enough, and there are diminishing returns from additional consumption.

So, unless you're eating almost no cholesterol whatsoever, it doesn't matter much how much extra cholesterol you eat.

300 mg may be the same as 3 grams. But 0mg is very different from either of them.

IIRC.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Can you give me a source for that, since it seems to contradict health.org?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topic ... rt-disease

Maybe. I think the discussion was on pcrm. I haven't kept track of it.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

EquALLity wrote:http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines ... 1/d1-2.asp
health.org wrote:Cholesterol. Previously, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommended that cholesterol intake be limited to no more than 300 mg/day. The 2015 DGAC will not bring forward this recommendation because available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol, consistent with the conclusions of the AHA/ACC report.2 35 Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption.
Opinions?

Blood serum level's are there to help diagnosis the problem not the cause of higher cholesterol. Not everyone that will eat cholesterol will have high cholesterol those matters depend on genetic predisposition's.
Dietary cholesterol should be a nutrient for concern because; it comes with trans fatty acids you can not have added dietary cholesterol with out trans fatty acid's which are known for heart disease.

But fuck it throw out the recommendation for eating eggs only once a week and let them just have at it.
Don't be a waste of molecules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

This is the chart you're looking for:

http://www.pcrm.org/cholesterol

See how it curves up, and then kind of tapers off?

A little bit of cholesterol is bad. A lot of cholesterol is still bad, but not really much worse than a little bit of it.

Ten eggs a day isn't much worse than one egg. But one egg is waaay worse than zero eggs.

This is why health.gov changed its recommendations. People aren't likely going to eat no or almost no cholesterol, so why bother telling them to reduce their consumption if it won't make much of a difference?

As princess peach mentioned, there are also genetic factors to consider, but how those work is a little less clear. You can see from the chart that those points are all over the place.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Thanks!^
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

Conflicting information: cbsnews.com/news/saturated-fats-wont-raise-heart-disease-risk-omega-3s-wont-reduce-it-study/
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

garrethdsouza wrote:Conflicting information: cbsnews.com/news/saturated-fats-wont-raise-heart-disease-risk-omega-3s-wont-reduce-it-study/
Looks like old news. There are studies with mixed results all of the time as outliers. You can even make a study that shows that homeopathy works.

This is why we have experts who understand the body of the evidence.
The American Heart Association wrote in a blog post on its website that it has concerns "that the study's conclusion could be deceptive for some people as they decide what to put on their plates."

"The study published Monday doesn't change the American Heart Association recommendation of a diet that's rich in fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, fish and unsaturated fats," said the AHA.
The AHA's commentary: http://blog.heart.org/study-raises-ques ... -bad-fats/
garrethdsouza

Post by garrethdsouza »

a good rebuttal can be found here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturat ... ontroversy
Also the summary table was informative.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox