I have good news :D

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Nik Joda
Diet: Vegan

I have good news :D

Post by Nik Joda »

Sooo guys,

it's been a while since i visited this forum but i want to share my thoughts with you! :)

I FINALLY decided to go vegan and am since a week. Actually it's crazy how much i have to eat to get my calories complete.
The only thing besides being at the gym and learning for my exams is eating :P
I just wonder how you guys eat all day long without getting tired :D :D :D :D
But anyway i want to do that because i am convinced that this is the future!

To be honest there is one thing i recently noticed! There way to few options to eat something vegan outside if i do not cook it by myself!
How do you handle that?

All wishes and greets from Germany <3
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: I have good news :D

Post by Jebus »

Nik Joda wrote:There way to few options to eat something vegan outside if i do not cook it by myself!
How do you handle that?
Hi Joda, Where in Germany do you live? I heard Berlin has the most vegan restaurants per capita in the world. Is it really that different in other parts of the country?

Also, I'm curious as to what exactly you are eating. I spend just as much time eating now as before I became vegan.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Nik Joda

Post by Nik Joda »

Well live near Berlin! But it is a difference if i search for some restaurants or if i just have one near every street like other small diners where i can go when i am busy or in hurry^^

Well if i compare i have to eat twice as much as i used to ate to get on my calories because veggies hasn't that much or i am just not experienced in it^^
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Great! :D

Maybe you could tell us what you eat on the average day?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Congratulations! That's great to hear,

If you eat mostly green vegetable, which is probably the most healthy, the volume of your food could be double or even more. Cooking veggies reduces the volume, and lets you eat more of them more easily, although it can be good to eat a mix of cooked and raw veggies.

Eating mostly beans/legumes, nuts, and whole grains, the volume might be about the same or just slightly more.

Technically, you should only need to eat about 500 grams to a kilogram of green veggies like kale, collards, mustard greens, etc. for the nutrition they offer (like calcium). Calcium is the main special mineral you get from greens (although you also get a lot of cancer fighting phytonutrients).
The rest of your diet can pretty healthfully come from beans, nuts, and whole grains.

500 grams of boiled collard greens will give you 70% of your RDA for calcium and 165 calories. The other 30% is easier to take care of with under 2,000 calories of beans and nuts (most grains are low in calcium, unless they're fortified with it, although amaranth apparently is).
If you want highly packed calories, walnuts will give you almost 2,000 calories in 300 grams (and pretty much fill the other 30% of the calcium requirement). Beans will fill the calcium need faster with fewer calories, leaving more room for whole grains. 750 grams of chickpeas will give you the other 30% of calcium in 1,230 calories (and huge amounts of protein, which you may have no need of depending on your activity level).

750 grams of greens would be more foolproof, but that's considerably more to eat if you're aiming to reduce food volume.
Nik Joda

Post by Nik Joda »

Well,

i normally start my day with a soy fruit matcha shake and some cereals also witrh fruits,

for lunch i eat mostly some big amount of rice with vegetables, potato dishes or pasta with vegan dressing.
Spinach with lenses are also really nice!
I didnt, have much recipies tried out for lunch so thats it actually^^

For some stuff between meals i have a big amount of nuts and stuff!

I am a bit sticky with raw salad in the evening so for dinner i eat mostly some bread with vegan dip or similar things what i eat at lunch!

I love watermelon! :D