I Require Assistance to Become a Vegan

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
thecamobackpack
Diet: Meat-Eater

I Require Assistance to Become a Vegan

Post by thecamobackpack »

Hello everyone,
I am a relatively young (though i will not specify specific age) person. I have only very recently be exposed to veganism and its arguments (via the vegan atheist youtube channel). In the video "STUPID MEAT EATER Comments #7" (https://youtu.be/435tOndX2Ng?t=3m6s) my reason why I believe I am not vegan is discussed. I really like meat. I was awakened to the fact that my point of view is completely undefendable. I eat meat because I have been indoctrinated to do so. I have done small amounts of research into the health benefits of being a vegan and see no quarrel, I agree ethically with the opinion that meat eating is not morally just, I just am unsure if I would be able to stop eating meat. In the video, the argument is made "if I really just like to rape women," and I was awakened that my opinion is stupid. But I would like to ask, would it be morally ethical to say "I really like and am addicted to heroin. I know it's bad but I can't stop." I feel that way with meat, I do not believe I have the conviction or will power to become a vegan.
garrethdsouza
Diet: Vegan

Re: I Require Assistance to Become a Vegan

Post by garrethdsouza »

I'd suggest watching earthlings and cowspiracy. The first is freely available on YouTube.
“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.”

― Brian Cox
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: I Require Assistance to Become a Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

thecamobackpack wrote:But I would like to ask, would it be morally ethical to say "I really like and am addicted to heroin. I know it's bad but I can't stop." I feel that way with meat, I do not believe I have the conviction or will power to become a vegan.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford

That doesn't mean that if you think you can sprout wings and fly it's true, but it applies to anything within the bounds of human ability. It's basic psychology.

"I can't" Is not a fact of reality, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy created by negative thinking. If you believe you can't, then you won't try, or you'll just pretend to try and deliberately fail. You're setting yourself up for failure, it's an act of self-sabotage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTO94wJXQoc

You can go vegan. You could quit heroin too. The former is easier than the latter, but you have complete control over your own will.

As Garrethdsouza suggested above, you can watch some videos to help cement your resolve in understanding WHY you should do it. That will help give you more conviction.

But whatever the outcome, if you refuse to accept failure, you can only inevitably succeed. If you fall off the wagon, get back up and jump back on. The only failure is giving up.

As to a clear answer to your question: No, it is not moral or ethical to say, "I know it's bad but I can't stop.". It's also irrational to say that.

Lacking will, or being lazy, is not an excuse or justification for anything. If you lack the will, it is your fault -- it is a fault of character, that is fundamentally yours. There is nothing positive about having a weak will or being lazy, and there is nothing more inherently or undeniably core to your selfhood than your will. If you choose to be such that you have a weak will, you have chosen to be less of a person. Something without a will is a non-entity.

Find the will; it's there. The potential is in you. You just have to choose it.
There's nothing mystical or magical about it, it's just basic psychology.

We can certainly help you, and if you choose to go vegan and refuse to accept failure you will certainly succeed. But you have to choose it.