Dr. Harriet Hall

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Shai Hulud
Diet: Vegan

Dr. Harriet Hall

Post by Shai Hulud »

Dr. Hall writes for Skeptic Magazine and Science Based Medicine. I recently read her review of The Gluten Lie by Levinovitz there. We got into a bit of a dustup about saturated fat, with her defending it. Would she be a candidate for a letter? I see that she is a bit of a low-carber in some of her posts on SBM.
Viking Redbeard

Re: Dr. Harriet Hall

Post by Viking Redbeard »

Harriet Hall is a joke with a propensity for latching onto the assertions of unqualified bloggers while throwing actual scientific studies under the bus.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4u-5Tb ... 5&index=62

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlgrDFP ... 893F2503B5
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unfortunately, a Google search for her name doesn't turn up any criticism until the second page, and even then it's about the elevatorgate stuff.
Nobody is visibly taking her to task for her quackery in completely rejecting scientific consensus on the lipid hypothesis.

In my view, she's one of the most disgusting hypocrites of this generation. Advancing her quackery under the guide of skepticism; she's worse than the anti-vaxxers and the likes of Deepak Chopra, and probably just as dangerous to human health.

It is a shame there is no criticism of her to be readily found. That certainly needs to change.
Shai Hulud wrote:We got into a bit of a dustup about saturated fat, with her defending it. Would she be a candidate for a letter?
Definitely. I don't think I'd be able to take the lead on it, there's no way I could write anything to her using nice words. Could you give it a try? If you can take the lead on it, I'd be happy to give feedback. I'm sure a lot of us could chip in ideas and links.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Hey, she has an article on Dr. Greger: sciencebasedmedicine [dot] org/death-as-a-foodborne-illness-curable-by-veganism/

Should be interesting?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Here's a link discussing her quackery in that article:

https://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewt ... cine#p5744

There's a very good rebuttal to that piece.

We'd have plenty of material to draw from if making a letter, definitely.