How do I become vegan? [Guide]

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Plantbasedlife
Newbie
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:26 pm
Religion: Other
Diet: Vegan

Re: How do I become vegan? [Guide]

Post by Plantbasedlife » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:21 pm

To me 'vegan' implies a lifestyle not just a diet. An individual that eliminates ALL animal products (not just food sources) regardless of motive. An individual that avoids meat and dairy (regardless of motive) but doesn't necessarily avoid leather car interior, ugg boots or read the ingredients of their moisturizer is someone who follows a plant-based diet.
I eat a strictly plant based diet but I have pets including horses initially bred for sport (that are now expensive pets!) I wear Blundstone boots (bought years before I made the switch) and I'm pretty sure my duvet is stuffed with feathers. I'm now consciously selecting garmets, bath products and accessories (bought my first man-made material handbag!:) that don't contain and are not tested on animals.
My health was not a remote concern in my choice for adopting a plant-based diet and my gradual conversion to veganism. My conscience just one day wouldn't allow me to suppprt such a corrupt and exploitative industry. My close relationship to livestock has granted me glimpses of distinct personalities and souls. The horrific treatment and unethical practices turned my stomach enough to make the cold turkey switch a no-brainer. Ignorance was bliss I'll admit. Dining out with friends (in non vegan restaurants) and my Italian family get togethers has proven to be challenging and often stressful as I'm often the brunt of critisism and endless questions. On the bright side I've inspired a handful of friends to reduce and even eliminate meat/dairy so I try to focus on the positive and the people that do want to make a difference.

User avatar
Raniya15
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:45 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Raniya15 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 pm

Hi guys, does vegan eat honey? I think no, some vegans eat this, I asked them why, they said, because honey is healthy....

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8948
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Raniya15 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 pm
Hi guys, does vegan eat honey? I think no, some vegans eat this, I asked them why, they said, because honey is healthy....
Some people think honey is medicinal when eaten, but that's a myth.
Honey is pretty much just sugar. There's not any evidence of health benefit.

Fruit is much better for you than honey.

User avatar
Raniya15
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:45 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Raniya15 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 am

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 pm
Raniya15 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 pm
Hi guys, does vegan eat honey? I think no, some vegans eat this, I asked them why, they said, because honey is healthy....
Some people think honey is medicinal when eaten, but that's a myth.
Honey is pretty much just sugar. There's not any evidence of health benefit.

Fruit is much better for you than honey.
agree:), and doctors says that sugar it is important for brain, because brain eat only sugar, I dont know, if it is true?. I dont eat suger, and I feel very good.

User avatar
Canastenard
Junior Member
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:20 pm
Diet: Vegan
Contact:

Post by Canastenard » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 am

Raniya15 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 am
agree:), and doctors says that sugar it is important for brain, because brain eat only sugar, I dont know, if it is true?. I dont eat suger, and I feel very good.
The brain uses glucose (not "sugar") as its main source of energy, and glucose in found in food in large part in the form of starch, a polymer of glucose that acts as energy storage in plants. So no you don't need to eat simple sugars like honey to have the glucose your brain needs to function.

Relevant links:
http://neuro.hms.harvard.edu/harvard-mahoney-neuroscience-institute/brain-newsletter/and-brain-series/sugar-and-brain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch
Appeal to nature: the strange belief that what is perceived as "natural" is necessarily safer, more effective or morally superior compared to what isn't.

User avatar
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Posts: 8948
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 9:20 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Canastenard is right.
Raniya15 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 am
agree:), and doctors says that sugar it is important for brain, because brain eat only sugar, I dont know, if it is true?. I dont eat suger, and I feel very good.
Also, fruit contains simple sugars. The benefit of fruit compared to honey is it also contains vitamins, and a little bit of minerals. White sugar, corn syrup, and honey are "empty".
(Fruit contains almost not protein, so it's important to eat vegetables and seeds for that [other people can eat beans, but Raniya is allergic]).

User avatar
Raniya15
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:45 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Raniya15 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 am

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm
Canastenard is right.
Raniya15 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 am
agree:), and doctors says that sugar it is important for brain, because brain eat only sugar, I dont know, if it is true?. I dont eat suger, and I feel very good.
Also, fruit contains simple sugars. The benefit of fruit compared to honey is it also contains vitamins, and a little bit of minerals. White sugar, corn syrup, and honey are "empty".
(Fruit contains almost not protein, so it's important to eat vegetables and seeds for that [other people can eat beans, but Raniya is allergic]).
thank you very much for expensive opinion for my, for my it is very important to comunicate with vegans. I got a lot of information, and I bought only yesterday lentils, and tomorrow will cook:)

User avatar
Raniya15
Newbie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:45 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Post by Raniya15 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 am

Canastenard wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 am
Raniya15 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 am
agree:), and doctors says that sugar it is important for brain, because brain eat only sugar, I dont know, if it is true?. I dont eat suger, and I feel very good.
The brain uses glucose (not "sugar") as its main source of energy, and glucose in found in food in large part in the form of starch, a polymer of glucose that acts as energy storage in plants. So no you don't need to eat simple sugars like honey to have the glucose your brain needs to function.

Relevant links:
http://neuro.hms.harvard.edu/harvard-mahoney-neuroscience-institute/brain-newsletter/and-brain-series/sugar-and-brain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch
OMG, thank you for links, of course I will read.

DAVEWISHENGRAD
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:16 pm
Religion: Christian
Diet: Vegan

Post by DAVEWISHENGRAD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 am

There is no such thing as being a vegan. Please stop these lies. I get it. You didn't know better. Same as the rest of most of us at some point or another.

Please, do not ever call anyone a vegan. That's telling lies in a conversation about life and death. People are not their actions. Do not label them as such. Ever.

We do not want people fighting for life to have self-identity disorders. When a person goes vegan,chooses the vegan lifestyle, they typically depend on someone else for that guidance and will take other things that person has to say with innocent trust, not realizing that the person that taught them better was still making other mistakes of their own in conversation.

We do not want people out there doing activism caught in lies while in discussion.

I would ask, "Life is Most Important in Life. Correct?"
Yes... "Okay then, you agree each person is most important, so what gives to right to say it is true to define a person as less than most important? Do you think you are above the truth itself, that you can just define others with a fairytale in your head and they will be what you say?
No...."When you can respond without ever using life to show us all that something else is more important than life, then you might have a case. We know that is never going to happen.

invincibleIJIN
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:56 am
Religion: Hindu
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by invincibleIJIN » Mon May 28, 2018 5:02 am

A very nice post I want to add few lines
whenever you are planning to purchase vegan products such as vegan leather be sure it is free form pvc and pu ( Polyvinyl chloride and polyurethane) they are fake leather, not a vegan leather.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests