How do I become vegan? [Guide]

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: How do I become vegan? [Guide]

Post by brimstoneSalad »

invincibleIJIN wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:02 am whenever you are planning to purchase vegan products such as vegan leather be sure it is free form pvc and pu ( Polyvinyl chloride and polyurethane) they are fake leather, not a vegan leather.
What do you think of as vegan leather? The new plant and fungus based options? Unfortunately, those aren't widely available yet. I'd definitely support that over plastic, though, if it's durable.
invincibleIJIN
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by invincibleIJIN »

dear brimstonesalad,
I want to elaborate on vegan leather and fake leather.
generally, the most commonly used materials for synthetic leathers are polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and polyurethane (PU), which are plastic-based materials. Another term for fake leather is “pleather” which comes from the term plastic leather. that can be made to order for any designer’s whim. It can sparkle, have a nice glossy sheen, or be saturated in all kinds of shades that put leather to shame. and yes another type of vegan leather is plant-based renewable and biodegradable resources like cork, paper, kelp, mushrooms, tree bark, waxed leather, recycled rubber, slate stone, and even apples and kombucha tea! Each of these options comes with its own pros and cons and some of them have yet to be developed past an experimental stage.
Thank you
invincibleIJIN

Post by invincibleIJIN »

Neptual wrote: Sat May 31, 2014 9:24 pm Hello there, I'm sure that if you're reading this post you're probably wondering "How do I become vegan?" well I'm here to help you answer this daring question.

Becoming vegan is can be a challenging process but don't let this turn you away, the feeling that you get from choosing to vegan instead of eating a omnivore/carnivore diet can be very satisfying. Not only that but the health rewards are great as well! So let's get started!

If you are planning on becoming vegan the first thing to do is to get rid of all of the things that can tempt you to break your streak. This does not have to be an immediate process but do your best to get rid of these products over time and try not to restock them.

The next thing you need to do is come to the realization that this is not something that you can master in a few days, you have to be dedicated and have self-controll especially when you go out to eat with friends/family, it can be extremely hard to keep up with your new lifestyle.

TIP:Be aware that one should not dive straight into being a vegan people usually go vegetarian first and gradually work their way up to being a vegan.

Self-controll can be very difficult for people going vegan, but do not fret this gets easier after a few days. Non-vegan family members may try to convince you or try to stray you away from eating vegan, if you really want to be vegan then stick to it, think about why you're going vegan when you have the temptations and evaluate your decisions before doing so, you may regret it later.

Make sure that you do your research about nutrition. This is a common mistake for new vegans as they think that if they eat 1 to 2 salads a day that they will maintain being healthy, but this is not the case and can usually lead to malnutrition and eventually leads to them eating meat later on.

Be sure to find a health food store and try to go there as often if you can. This is where you can buy the bulk of the vegan foods and where you can find vegan desserts there as well. Also be sure that you know how to cook or take cooking lessons. You can make some very delicious meals with a variety of different recipes.

The last and final thing to becoming vegan is to be VERY sure of why you're becoming it. You shouldn't want to be be vegan because you know people that are taking the pledge but because you want to fight for animal rights. Remember being vegan is lifestyle not a diet.

(Also try to avoid products that use animal products in them, this includes but is not limited to: leather, silk, and fish. Yes fish is considered meat)

To all vegans who are reading this post please be sure to leave any tips that I've left out of this guide.
You'll save lives
Now, it’s pretty obvious that not eating animals saves lives. (198 per year per vegan, to be exact). Less demand = less production and less slaughter.
But what about the other lives you save in the process?
I’m talking about you. You’re saving yourself. With documentaries popping up all the time on the health benefits of veganism, it really is easier than ever to educate yourself on the adverse effects of eating meat and other animal products. When you really think about it, are you willing to exchange your life for these products when there are so many other healthy things you could be eating? Food for thought.
Dsalles

Post by Dsalles »

Where I live, in central Sao Paulo state, Brazil, I find that most people who try being vegetarian or vegan for a while, eventually quit. I have observed that the main problem is social.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Dsalles wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 am Where I live, in central Sao Paulo state, Brazil, I find that most people who try being vegetarian or vegan for a while, eventually quit. I have observed that the main problem is social.
I think that's why the "critical mass" part is so important. Once we reach large enough numbers to make it normal (like a non-smoker) then there won't be as much social pressure, restaurants will always have things for vegans, and we can start hanging on to those new recruits longer and longer.
Dsalles

Post by Dsalles »

BrimstoneSalad, that is true, and each person really does make a difference.
maryfink

Post by maryfink »

Hello! Tell me what to do if I can not give up seafood. I do not eat meat for a long time, but I can not stop eating fish because of certain health problems. However, I would like to try to become a fully vegetarian. Is it possible to replace fish with something?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

maryfink wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:53 am Hello! Tell me what to do if I can not give up seafood. I do not eat meat for a long time, but I can not stop eating fish because of certain health problems. However, I would like to try to become a fully vegetarian. Is it possible to replace fish with something?
You could try replacing sentient fish with oysters which are probably not sentient.
It's always possible to switch a more intelligent animal for a simpler one.

In terms of health problems, I'd need to know what trouble you're having. Usually fish could be replaced by some plant protein plus B-12 and a DHA supplement which should address most of the things sea food contains. Iodine could also be an issue; make sure you're consuming a little iodized salt.
fredericlavender

Post by fredericlavender »

Hey guys, for me the transition was easy as I have been a vegetarian for 33 years and vegan for 1 year. The best method I found was to phase out dairy slowly as and when I found suitable vegan products. The hardest product to find which tasted great was yogurt. My local supermarket has it's own branded soy yogurt unsweetened and tastes exactly the same as yogurt! Iove eating it with like a curry and rice or a veg biriyani with yogurt! So good!!

The hardest thing for me was silly comments from friends and colleagues which I don't bother entertaining :)
Mick Peslo

Post by Mick Peslo »

Stop eating meat. Stop enjoying life. Become pale and bitter to the point you eventually develop a scottish accent. Job jobbed.