Plague Doctor here

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
thyplaguedoctor

Plague Doctor here

Post by thyplaguedoctor »

Right so questions first AMA

Also what is the benefits of veganism?

What are the risks?

What should I do to become a vegan?
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Plague Doctor here

Post by EquALLity »

Welcome! :D You should post an intro!

1) Less unnecessary animal abuse, less environmental damage, and lack of cholesterol, removal of some saturated fats, and removal of pretty bad stuff from your diet.

2) You should take a vitamin B12 supplement, or you may become deficient (there is often b12 in fortified vegan foods, but you'd have to make sure you get enough per day).

3) Check out our guide! http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=88
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
thyplaguedoctor

An intro? How do I do that exactly?
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Hi Thyplaguedoctor,
welcome to the forum. great for you to join, however you should have placed your questions in the appropriate section of the forum. This section of the forum is for introductions. I will move this to the appropriate section.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
thyplaguedoctor

oh sorry was trying to do an introduction too but wasnt sure how to do that but thanks? :P
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Welcome plaguedoctor!

The benefits are in terms of personal health (due to the effects of eating animal products), and the well being of others (due to the effects of producing animal products).
It's win-win to go vegan, basically, which makes it a rational choice.

As EquALLity said, B-12 is the only big concern. Otherwise, just eat a well balanced vegan diet with lots of veggies and whole grains and beans. Protein is a non-issue as long as you're not just eating oily sugary junk food.
B-12 comes from bacteria, so it's important to supplement with it, since we don't get much B-12 in a modern diet. Animals are injected with it and/or have it added to their feed, so the meat contains B-12. Many vegan products are fortified with B-12, but it's a better idea to just supplement with a small chewable pill once a week or so.
Meat eaters benefit from B-12 too, and often don't get enough (particularly when older).

To go vegan, a lot of people take it step by step, learning a long the way (e.g. give up pork and beef, then give up chicken, then later give up dairy, then eggs, then fish much later). This can be over many months, so there's lots of time to learn. Some people do it overnight. Whatever you feel is the best way for you.
We're here to offer advice at any point, whatever you choose. :)
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

Hey!. I read your name as 'plaque doctor', haha.. so I expected to find some expert opinions on a vegan diet's effect on arterial plaque in here :D
What should I do to become a vegan?
I would say just keep learning about animals, health benefits and the environment. If you have a lot of curiosity for science, facts and reason, then you will eventually realize that eating animal products is just really stupid on so many levels
thyplaguedoctor

Ok so next is fish considered a meat? If not why not? If so why so? Can I eat fish as a vegan?

Also do I have to remove all meats? I was thinking cutting down my meat intake to 1/3rd but I dont wanna remove meat entirely...like a cob salad is good but for me its better with some chicken or turkey pieces in it ya know?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

thyplaguedoctor wrote:Ok so next is fish considered a meat? If not why not? If so why so? Can I eat fish as a vegan?
Depending on where you're from, colloquially, fish may or may not be called 'meat'.
But vegans avoid all products that result in animal suffering to produce them, no matter what they're called.

Fish are sentient animals, and commercial fishing results in environmental destruction.

Oysters do not have brains, and may not be sentient. Some consider oysters to be vegan. But fish are not vegan.
Oysters which are rope grown may be environmentally friendly.

If you want to eat oysters, go ahead. If you only eat Oysters and plants, you should call yourself a Bivalvegan. It means a vegan who eats oysters, or "Bivalves".
thyplaguedoctor wrote:Also do I have to remove all meats? I was thinking cutting down my meat intake to 1/3rd but I dont wanna remove meat entirely...like a cob salad is good but for me its better with some chicken or turkey pieces in it ya know?
Chickens and turkeys are sentient animals that suffer in the production of meat. They're also unhealthy to consume.

In order to be a non-smoker, do you have to quit smoking entirely, or is one cigarette a day OK?
Certainly one cigarette a day is less bad than a pack of cigarettes a day. But it's still bad.
The same way, raping one woman a year is less bad than raping a woman every day, but it's still bad.

It would be better to hurt fewer animals, but it would be best to hurt none. Vegans try to hurt none.

If you want to improve your health, reducing your meat consumption is better than eating meat all of the time. Eating no animal products is best.
Vegans do not deliberately consume any products that result from animal suffering without necessity (you can take medicines, for example, because that is necessary).
thyplaguedoctor

So no milke? No cheese? No butter? Thats animal suffering...I don't know I like the idea but it seems a bit extreme a bit far....Your going out of your way to try to eat less meat while ...well people aren't stopping their meat eating and some probably won't at all..isn't it pointless?? I mean...I guess I can see the answers you're going to say but I will let you speak for yourself...