"Why?"

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
knot
Master in Training

"Why?"

Post by knot »

I have noticed a pattern. Basically all meat eaters will ask the question "why?" (you are vegan), and usually you only get 1 shot, a single sentence, to explain things before they start rolling their eyes or changing the subject to something that makes them feel better. So what concise replies can be given? Well, i have tried different answers with varying success

This one seemed to have a good effect:
"Because animals dont have to suffer for me to eat well"

This one sucked:
"Because of animal ethics, the environment and my health"

Something I have in mind, but havent used in practice:
"If you have ever had a pet, try and imagine what you would feel if the meat you are eating right now came from that animal. If you can imagine that, you will know what I feel all the time when I see meat."

your experiences? ^^
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: "Why?"

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Well, here's one idea:

1. Flatter their egos
2. Display open mindedness and suggest you might change
3. Show them Earthlings

Something like:

"Can I show you something? Maybe you will understand this better than I do, and can change my mind."
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

knot wrote:I have noticed a pattern. Basically all meat eaters will ask the question "why?" (you are vegan), and usually you only get 1 shot, a single sentence, to explain things before they start rolling their eyes or changing the subject to something that makes them feel better. So what concise replies can be given? Well, i have tried different answers with varying success

This one seemed to have a good effect:
"Because animals dont have to suffer for me to eat well."
My typical response is similar, but slightly longer. I wonder if a typical nonvegan has a long enough attention span to listen to two entire sentences rather than one. Anyways it goes something like this:

"The vast majority of animals raised for food these days go through a great deal of suffering during their short lives, which end in disgusting slaughterhouses. Since it's easy to be happy and healthy whithout any animal-derived foods in my diet, I don't believe I can justify participating in any harm towards animals."

Hopefully most nonvegans are willing to listen to these two sentences if I speak them very quickly. This is the best response that I can come up with
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
knot
Master in Training

Post by knot »

brimstone I have had bad luck with showing Earthlings. People just say most of the footage is outdated and that things are much better today.. :|
"The vast majority of animals raised for food these days go through a great deal of suffering during their short lives, which end in disgusting slaughterhouses. Since it's easy to be happy and healthy whithout any animal-derived foods in my diet, I don't believe I can justify participating in any harm towards animals."
Seems effectful, I'll try it^)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

knot wrote:brimstone I have had bad luck with showing Earthlings. People just say most of the footage is outdated and that things are much better today.. :|
Yeah, people are idiots. It's worse today, because demand is higher, and it's now illegal to bring a camera into a slaughterhouse, so they can get away with anything.
Maybe you can ask them why these factory farms would lobby the government to make it illegal to bring a camera into a slaughter house if conditions are better? Their only motivation to do that is to hide what they're doing.