Vegan chock. spread "may contain traces of milk"

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
metalized
Diet: Vegan

Vegan chock. spread "may contain traces of milk"

Post by metalized »

Hi,

a question:
I went to Croatia for a short holiday, went and bought a vegan chocolate spread, as the hotel does not have anything vegan except for bread. The spread has the official vegan label, so I didnt think to check the ingredients. Today while on breakfast I didread the ingredients and to my huge surprise it says in the end that it may contain traces of milk. I am not sure if I should complain about it, or not. In principle I never buy products that "may contain traces of...", seeing a vegan product having this note, came as a surprise. :(
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Vegan chock. spread "may contain traces of milk"

Post by EquALLity »

metalized wrote:Hi,

a question:
I went to Croatia for a short holiday, went and bought a vegan chocolate spread, as the hotel does not have anything vegan except for bread. The spread has the official vegan label, so I didnt think to check the ingredients. Today while on breakfast I didread the ingredients and to my huge surprise it says in the end that it may contain traces of milk. I am not sure if I should complain about it, or not. In principle I never buy products that "may contain traces of...", seeing a vegan product having this note, came as a surprise. :(
That just means it was made on shared equipment, in the same facility, or something of the such. No worries, it's vegan!
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Vegan chock. spread "may contain traces of milk"

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Like Equallity said, it's vegan, they just put that on there because they prepared it in the same facility and they want to cover their bases in case somebody has some kind of extreme dairy allergy. They don't add milk to it deliberately.

See: http://www.peta.org/living/food/making- ... ucts-food/
That's PETA's position, and while I don't agree with them on everything, it's a very valid point.