Vegans purchasing nonvegan food for nonvegans?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Vegans purchasing nonvegan food for nonvegans?

Post by Lightningman_42 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfKsKD6zBeA
I came across this video on YouTube by chance recently. I thought it was brilliant, and it got me thinking. If I had lived in the U.S. during the time of human slavery, and I were an abolitionist with slave-owning family, would I have been willing to go to slave markets to purchase slaves on their behalf (with their money)? No. Absolutely not. So in the context of animal slavery and the products derived from it, why would I be willing to ever purchase nonvegan food for anyone, even if it's for them, and they're ultimately paying for it? What are your thoughts on this? Would you ever purchase anything nonvegan, such as paying for your date's nonvegan dinner or going on a grocery run for your parents (or other friends/family members)?
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Vegans purchasing nonvegan food for nonvegans?

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I have strong feelings about purchasing nonvegan foods for others. Luckly I am not confronted with that situation too often.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Alex55hp
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Alex55hp »

I wouldn't buy something non-vegan for someone if they wouldn't buy it themselves.
“If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarian.”
― Paul McCartney
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Sometimes it's enabling the animal eating habit, which is wrong, particularly if they'd otherwise accept vegan options. Sometimes it's just helping them do something they'd do anyway.

E.g. if you refuse to pass the butter at the table, would they just just keep eating, or would they get up and get it?
It may seem subtle, but therein lies the crucial distinction.

Although it feels uncomfortable in either case.
Corelich
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Corelich »

I'm in a spot right now, where I have to think about this the first time.
I'm a vegetarian for not too long and still buying and paying food for a friend who can't afford it (a student without fixed income higher than 250 euro).
This inclueds meat. Since I pay for it, I could choose to buy only vegan products for her. Right now I have the "let them give the facts and then let them decide what they want to eat."-stance. But my "moral view" on this is still in the development / I'm far away from having a consistent and justifiable package of thoughts on the topic of food. I probably will stop buying meat for her.