Not Vegan? why?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
revankatal

Re: Not Vegan? why?

Post by revankatal »

no actually i didn't think the owner meant VEGAN ATHEIST literally, but when I got in here i figured it out pretty quick...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

revankatal wrote:I'm an Omnivore... why? coz vegetables are healthy and bacon is delicious. Why limit yourself to one pallet? eat it all and be healthy.
Why not eat everything, including aborted fetuses, the elderly, and criminals like jaywalkers? Since they're not serving society, and they can be cooked in a delicious way, we should eat them right?

Also gingers, right? It's easy to exclude them from our circle of compassion. We should all gang up and eat them too, since they're a minority and they'll never see it coming.

If you can do something, and it will result in your personal enjoyment, you should obviously do it, right?

Morality, pfft, who needs that, am I right?
revankatal

Post by revankatal »

I'm an omnivore, not a cannibal. and no that's not the same.

eating animal meat is a matter of choice and views. being a cannibal is a question of morality.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

revankatal wrote:I'm an omnivore, not a cannibal. and no that's not the same.

eating animal meat is a matter of choice and views. being a cannibal is a question of morality.
Do you imply (by saying 'being a cannibal is a question of morality') that eating meat is not? Then what is it?
Is it fine for you if I take your dog/cat, I never make him/her see the sun again, I kill him/her and I chop him/her into pieces?
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
revankatal

Post by revankatal »

My cat yeah sure go ahead, I dislike cats. Now my dog however, you'd have to pay for damages, and my grief, sleepless nights, moral damages of my 3 kids who happen to love our dog OR imprisonment. all of which can and will be enforced by a court of law, if ever you decide to do that to my dog.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

revankatal wrote:My cat yeah sure go ahead, I dislike cats. Now my dog however, you'd have to pay for damages, and my grief, sleepless nights, moral damages of my 3 kids who happen to love our dog OR imprisonment. all of which can and will be enforced by a court of law, if ever you decide to do that to my dog.
I'm not threatening you.. My question was meant to be: how would you feel about that? You'd be disgusted to eat your own pet that you loved.
Why? Because he has a personality, you understand that he has emotions (fear, happiness, sadness) and, most important, he feels pain. That's why you can relate to him and actually feel affection towards him. Well, every animal you're eating has those qualities.
The thing that all animals have in common is that they're sentient and they ALL want to avoid pain and death. We have no nutritional requirement to eat/drink animal products; if you consume them, it's because of your selfishness/culture/misinformation. There's no valid counter argument to veganism. Your dog is not more special than a pig; he doesn't feel more emotions than other animals.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

revankatal wrote: eating animal meat is a matter of choice and views. being a cannibal is a question of morality.
This is why I consider most Christians deeply immoral. You're so self-satisfied and arrogant in your personal beliefs that you can't even consider the possibility that moral choices exist all around us- all choices that affect others are moral choices.

Being a cannibal is a choice- and a matter of morality. It's a a choice of morality- right vs. wrong.
Killing and eating innocent animals is also a choice and a matter of morality. It's a choice of morality- right vs. wrong.

Things aren't just choices OR morality.
Things are complex moral choices- choices of morality, with moral consequences.

revankatal wrote: I'm an omnivore, not a cannibal. and no that's not the same.
Of course it's not the same. Just like beef and chicken aren't the same. Or fish and pork.

Nobody said it's the same. But if you're going to totally disregard the morality of your actions, you might as well go all the way, right? Why stop at killing non-human animals when there are plenty of people to kill too?
Humane Hominid

Post by Humane Hominid »

All cannibals are omnivores, but not all omnivores are cannibals (except in spirit).
Eat kind, be strong.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Humane Hominid wrote:
All cannibals are omnivores, but not all omnivores are cannibals (except in spirit).
Some cannibals may be exclusive cannibals- strict carnivores.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

revankatal wrote:no actually i didn't think the owner meant VEGAN ATHEIST literally, but when I got in here i figured it out pretty quick...
How could the owner not literally mean what he's saying? If you've watched his videos you can clearly tell that he is a vegan and atheist (which you've stated in your introduction).
She's beautiful...