Not Vegan? why?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Not Vegan? why?

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Hi, what are everyone's dietary and moral stance on animals as food? Are you vegan? If not, I would be interested in finding out why?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Volenta
Master in Training

Re: Not Vegan? why?

Post by Volenta »

I'm not a vegan, although I can not justify consuming any animal product on moral grounds. I try to reduce consuming animal products, but I'm not fully vegan because the lack of some alternative products. I live in small town, where they don't have a nature/health/bio food shop either. Some products that come in mind:
- Butter for making vegetarian gravy as alternative to meat juice
- Salad dressing
- Mayonnaise (maybe I can make some myself)
- In my introduction I told about yogurt (as dessert), but I think I've found a soy bean alternative now

I also find it very hard to go vegan because of the enormous amount of products having (even just a little bit of) powdered milk or lactose or something in them. A lot of things are avoidable at home, but when going to friends or family I think it's especially hard not to consume animal products. It's even in something like a cappuccino (although I generally prefer black), pastry or chocolate. So I do try not to consume milk, cheese and eggs in a direct way, but I think it's really hard to go fully vegan—and have enormous respect to those who can.

I do think about (and actually am) gradually moving more and more towards veganism.
Humane Hominid

Post by Humane Hominid »

Volenta wrote:I'm not a vegan, although I can not justify consuming any animal product on moral grounds. I try to reduce consuming animal products, but I'm not fully vegan because the lack of some alternative products. I live in small town, where they don't have a nature/health/bio food shop either. Some products that come in mind:
- Butter for making vegetarian gravy as alternative to meat juice
- Salad dressing
- Mayonnaise (maybe I can make some myself)
- In my introduction I told about yogurt (as dessert), but I think I've found a soy bean alternative now

I also find it very hard to go vegan because of the enormous amount of products having (even just a little bit of) powdered milk or lactose or something in them. A lot of things are avoidable at home, but when going to friends or family I think it's especially hard not to consume animal products. It's even in something like a cappuccino (although I generally prefer black), pastry or chocolate. So I do try not to consume milk, cheese and eggs in a direct way, but I think it's really hard to go fully vegan—and have enormous respect to those who can.

I do think about (and actually am) gradually moving more and more towards veganism.
For butter, you could try margarine instead.

For salad dressing substitutes, I usually use plain balsamic vinegar or fresh-squeezed citrus juice.

Mayonnaise can be made in a blender or food processor with oil, lemon juice, and either soy milk or tofu. Google "homemade vegan mayo" and you'll find lots of recipes.

In general, I'd say invest in a food processor if you don't already have one. It makes food prep fast and easy. Also, when going out with friends, trying eating at home beforehand so you'll be less hungry at the party or restaurant.
Eat kind, be strong.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Humane Hominid wrote:For butter, you could try margarine instead.

For salad dressing substitutes, I usually use plain balsamic vinegar or fresh-squeezed citrus juice.

Mayonnaise can be made in a blender or food processor with oil, lemon juice, and either soy milk or tofu. Google "homemade vegan mayo" and you'll find lots of recipes.

In general, I'd say invest in a food processor if you don't already have one. It makes food prep fast and easy. Also, when going out with friends, trying eating at home beforehand so you'll be less hungry at the party or restaurant.
Thanks for the advice.

I wasn't aware that margarine can be made without animal products in it. I just looked in the refrigerator, and it seems I'm already using margarine. It has some powdered milk in it though, next time I pick one without powdered milk.
Humane Hominid

Post by Humane Hominid »

Can you find Earth Balance brands in your local markets? If so, you should give them a try. They make pretty good vegan butter substitutes.
Eat kind, be strong.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Humane Hominid wrote:Can you find Earth Balance brands in your local markets? If so, you should give them a try. They make pretty good vegan butter substitutes.
Never seen them in the Netherlands, but we have some other brands which are also great. But not everything is available at the local supermarket.
pizza
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by pizza »

I'm not a vegan because I haven't found some good arguments for Veganism over Vegetarianism yet. What do you think about the matter? Should I open a new thread about it?
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

pizza wrote:I'm not a vegan because I haven't found some good arguments for Veganism over Vegetarianism yet. What do you think about the matter? Should I open a new thread about it?
Yes definitely.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
revankatal

Post by revankatal »

I'm an Omnivore... why? coz vegetables are healthy and bacon is delicious. Why limit yourself to one pallet? eat it all and be healthy.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

revankatal wrote:Why limit yourself to one pallet?
For hundred and one reasons. I can't possibly explain in one post all the reasons of the 'why not'. Environment.. ethics.. hypocrisy.. If you're interested, there are solid videos on the 'VeganAtheist' channel. Just look for vegan debates and presentations.
But didn't you just make a presentation on yourself where you stated you were vegan?
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.