What to put in my coffee

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Corelich
Diet: Vegetarian

What to put in my coffee

Post by Corelich »

Hallo Vegans,

what do you put in your coffee every morning?
I myself find soymilk tastes disgusting and havent found anything that makes coffee drinkable without milk yet.
Any ideas?

Also, if anybody has a good recipe for hot chocolate without (soy/cow)milk, i would appreciate it.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: What to put in my coffee

Post by EquALLity »

Hm. Well, I don't drink coffee, but you could maybe try almond milk or some other non-dairy milk?

Hot chocolate: I boil chocolate almond milk. Also, I think you can get some dark chocolate mixes that don't have dairy at Target.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Corelich

Post by Corelich »

Well since i live in germany... no target here. My problem with almond and soy is (besides me not liking the taste of soy milk, which is strange since i love raw soy), that i spend a lot of time with persons allergic to nickel and both almond and soy are damn full of that stuff and thus poison to nickel-allergic people. I fear that they take it mindlessly out of my fridge and drink it. This could be very dangerous to them. Well, I have a second (tiny) fridge which i currently dont use and i make it my "contains high amounts of nickel"-frigde.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Corelich wrote:Well since i live in germany... no target here. My problem with almond and soy is (besides me not liking the taste of soy milk, which is strange since i love raw soy), that i spend a lot of time with persons allergic to nickel and both almond and soy are damn full of that stuff and thus poison to nickel-allergic people. I fear that they take it mindlessly out of my fridge and drink it. This could be very dangerous to them. Well, I have a second (tiny) fridge which i currently dont use and i make it my "contains high amounts of nickel"-frigde.
Well just use that fridge, then! You could even put a sign on it to be extra safe.

Have you tried almondmilk? I like soy better, and it's healthier, so I switched over to that, but almond is still cool. I use it as a replacement for chocolate milk.

Hm. You could probably find one at some store. (Or just boil the chocolate almondmilk.)
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

You could try other motherless milks and see which one works for you: http://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewto ... f=20&t=137

I myself prefer to drink coffee just black though.
Corelich

Post by Corelich »

thx for the link, never heard of hazelnut milk before.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I either drink black or buy special soy/almond coffee creamers.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
cidig

Post by cidig »

I practically stopped drinking coffee after becoming vegan. I don't need it anymore. But now thinking of the taste, I was wondering if the coconut cream would do the job. I tried it some weeks ago at a vegan caffee in my city, they served it with chocolate dumplings but you could try adding it to coffee.
Vegantichrist

Post by Vegantichrist »

I enjoy coconut milk with a little bit of sugar free vanilla syrup. Works great to substitute creamer, but since I've started my vegan diet I have found that I don't really crave that coffee in the morning. Some water and a good vegan breakfast and I'm set! Cheers!
Kyron

Post by Kyron »

Corelich wrote: what do you put in your coffee every morning?
I like soy milk, I put that in my coffee mostly. I recently bought some almond milk too though and that's really tasty.
Alpro also make a soy cream, which I've put it my coffee once or twice. Ahhh, it's devine. Hehe.

Corelich wrote: Also, if anybody has a good recipe for hot chocolate without (soy/cow)milk, i would appreciate it.
I don't think hot chocolate actually has any milk/lactose in it.. Though, you could just use cocoa powder?
Unless you're just talking about the milk part. In which case, I've heard almond milk makes it taste like nutella. Heh