Beyond Carnism - Melanie Joy

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Beyond Carnism - Melanie Joy

Post by miniboes »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0VrZPBskpg

I just stumbled across this talk and thought it was pretty great. Thoughts?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Beyond Carnism - Melanie Joy

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

That was really great. Thanks for sharing. I must be honest, when you first mentioned Carnism, my first reaction was negative, as I think it was Prof. Francione who coloured my opinion of her (in a negative light). After watching the video, I was pleasantly surprised. Very well presented.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

I think this presentation will hit a note with those who assume that veganism is some type of hippie subculture not to be taken seriously. She comes across as very professional.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:I must be honest, when you first mentioned Carnism, my first reaction was negative, as I think it was Prof. Francione who coloured my opinion of her (in a negative light).
Can you remember what his problem was with the word 'carnism'? I can't see anything that's really wrong with it.
Jebus wrote:I think this presentation will hit a note with those who assume that veganism is some type of hippie subculture not to be taken seriously. She comes across as very professional.
I agree, we need more of that.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Great video!
TheVeganAtheist wrote:when you first mentioned Carnism, my first reaction was negative, as I think it was Prof. Francione who coloured my opinion of her (in a negative light).
It's a pretty safe bet that any vegan Francione doesn't like is spreading the right message. ;)

Veganism needs more rational advocates like this.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Jebus wrote:I think this presentation will hit a note with those who assume that veganism is some type of hippie subculture not to be taken seriously. She comes across as very professional.
I couldn't help but seeing her in contrast with Gary Yourofsky. Where Yourofsky presents emotionally and is very radical at times, Melanie Joy presents the arguments in a very calm, rational and non-offensive way, all with a friendly smile. This is the kind of person that I want advocating veganism, not a Yourofsky or Francione.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Volenta wrote:
TheVeganAtheist wrote:I must be honest, when you first mentioned Carnism, my first reaction was negative, as I think it was Prof. Francione who coloured my opinion of her (in a negative light).
Can you remember what his problem was with the word 'carnism'? I can't see anything that's really wrong with it.
I agree, we need more of that.
I honestly dont remember at this point. It was a long time ago.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

miniboes wrote:
I couldn't help but seeing her in contrast with Gary Yourofsky. Where Yourofsky presents emotionally and is very radical at times, Melanie Joy presents the arguments in a very calm, rational and non-offensive way, all with a friendly smile. This is the kind of person that I want advocating veganism, not a Yourofsky or Francione.

Funny, because my wife's reaction was opposite. She much preferred Yourofsky's passionate (emotionally delivered) presentation over Melanie Joy's. I agree with you. Her style is definitely more appealing to me.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Pretty good presentation! !!1
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

TheVeganAtheist wrote: Funny, because my wife's reaction was opposite. She much preferred Yourofsky's passionate (emotionally delivered) presentation over Melanie Joy's. I agree with you. Her style is definitely more appealing to me.
Just goes to show, different methods to appeal to different folks. Seems to be the same for atheism.

I wonder if the same people who need intellectual or emotional arguments need them for both?
Has your wife seen any emotional arguments for atheism?