Are eggs okay?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
sonic507d
Diet: Meat-Eater

Are eggs okay?

Post by sonic507d »

First of all, let's describe the eggs that we eat: They are menstruations.

Second, how do we obtain them?
Eggs are either obtained by stuffing hens in factories or by raising hens ourselves (and humanely) and collecting their eggs manually.

third: Are they healthy?
Yes, they are for most people.

So are eggs okay? Not sure...
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Are eggs okay?

Post by miniboes »

sonic507d wrote:First of all, let's describe the eggs that we eat: They are menstruations.
Yeah, so we don't eat them. Right? Is this not enough?
Second, how do we obtain them?
Eggs are either obtained by stuffing hens in factories or by raising hens ourselves (and humanely) and collecting their eggs manually.
I am unsure whether or not raising the hens yourself is immoral, however the eggs you buy in the supermarket are certainly not ethically produced.
third: Are they healthy?
Yes, they are for most people.
They're incredibly unhealthy for most people. They are high in saturated fat and animal protein, but more importantly have more cholesterol than any other food aside from brains, making them one of the worst foods to eat if you don't want to get a heart attack.
http://www.pcrm.org/pdfs/health/Nutriti ... -sheet.pdf
So are eggs okay? Not sure...
If you raise them yourself it could be considered okay, however you are still eating something incredibly unhealthy and gross. It is certainly not okay to feed them to your children or to buy them from a store.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

A chicken's period, mmmm tasty. :P
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Eggs in general are bad, but the yolk is the worst part (that's where the cholesterol and fat is).

The whites are mostly protein and water.
I'd be interested to see studies on egg whites in particular, since I'm unsure of the health effects.

From a moral perspective, you'd basically have to raise the hens yourself and actually take care of them in retirement, rather than killing them. And you'd have to get them as rescues (rather than buying from a breeder or farmer), and hope for hens who aren't broody.

As I understand, if the hen guards the eggs, she will be upset by losing them. All hens are different; some are traumatized by the loss of eggs, while others are apathetic, and abandon them once they're lain.

It all seems very inconvenient. Probably much easier just to not eat eggs.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
The whites are mostly protein and water.
I'd be interested to see studies on egg whites in particular, since I'm unsure of the health effects.
Found this
She's beautiful...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Thanks for the link, Neptual.

One could argue that proper preparation mitigates bacterial risk (and that's a risk with a lot of things), and not all people are allergic to eggs. The Biotin thing is interesting though! I hadn't heard of that one.
Pumpkin
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Pumpkin »

I don't have the slightest problem with eggs, they are tasty and contain no life who know fear or pain. Animal cruelty is not present in eating unfertilized eggs, it's like milk, you used an animal but you don't hurt them, in fact, that preserve farms without killing any of the animals and gives no chance to allotments for unnecessary new districts and industry. ... I don't see the problem when eating eggs. Unhealthy? well ... fries are even more unhealthy.... ;)
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

I don't have the slightest problem with eggs, they are tasty and contain no life who know fear or pain. Animal cruelty is not present in eating unfertilized eggs, it's like milk, you used an animal but you don't hurt them, in fact, that preserve farms without killing any of the animals and gives no chance to allotments for unnecessary new districts and industry. ... I don't see the problem when eating eggs. Unhealthy? well ... fries are even more unhealthy.... ;)
It depends on where you're getting them from. I recommend the video in my signature so you can see what I mean.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Pumpkin
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Pumpkin »

Exactly, you have to know where they come from. Basically eggs isn't food where you should stay away from... but there are indeed exceptions.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Exactly, you have to know where they come from. Basically eggs isn't food where you should stay away from... but there are indeed exceptions.
Where do you get your eggs, out of curiosity? Backyard hens?

Everything from a factory farm involves animal cruelty, and that's what's at the supermarket.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx