Vegetarian to vegan?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
VeggieJake
Diet: Vegetarian

Vegetarian to vegan?

Post by VeggieJake »

Hi everyone :)

I'm 14 years old and a vegetarian. I really want to go vegan but I'm having problems with my mum...
You see, my mum and I disagree with each other when it comes to eating animal products and she really doesn't like the idea of me becoming vegan. About 8 months ago I argued with her about me being vegetarian and she was really nice in letting me become a veggie but now I want to become vegan. Every time I talk to her about it she just doesn't even consider it and won't let become vegan...
Can anyone help me please and give me ideas of how I can convince her?

Care+compassion=peace
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

Re: Vegetarian to vegan?

Post by Red »

Well, you're 14. You should have some money right? I'm pretty sure that your mom is trying to egg you on. Do what I did. Do your own shopping, and try out vehan cooking. I highly suggest you read Neptual's guide how to transition. Also make an introductory statement! :D :D :D :D
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
VeggieJake

Post by VeggieJake »

I do have some money yeah and I guess I could do my own shopping. so I should become vegan and do my own cooking? I guess I could learn how to cook vegan.
Thanks and I will have a look at the guide. :)
Care+compassion=peace
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Of course she will let you become vegan. Just refuse to eat non vegan food. Your mother will be frustrated at first but she won't let you starve so she will go along with it. Most probably she will start researching vegan food herself and learn that it is in fact a very healthful diet. In any case, if you give her some time she might even start feeling proud that her 14 year old son is an independent thinker who cares about other human and non human animals.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Are your family members atheists, or are they just non-religious?

Are your parents skeptics and open-minded? If they are, they might be open to learning about factory farming.

Show them a factory farming video (all over YouTube), and if they accuse the videos of being fake, show them this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/us/ta ... d=all&_r=0
The New York Times wrote:Some of the legislation appears inspired by the American Legislative Exchange Council, a business advocacy group with hundreds of state representatives from farm states as members. The group creates model bills, drafted by lobbyists and lawmakers, that in the past have included such things as “stand your ground” gun laws and tighter voter identification rules.
If they weren't doing anything wrong, why would they be lobbying to prevent investigations of their farms?
And do they think the NY Times is just lying to us, along with The Huffington Post, and all the news sources of animal cruelty in factory farming?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Why exactly does your mother not want you to go vegan?

If she doesn't want it because she thinks it's unhealthy, go see a dietician to plan the diet. That would probably assure here it's perfectly healthy. Misconceptions like "you won't get your protein" should be solved pretty quickly. That's what I did, and although my mother was already allowing me to be vegan anyway this gave her a lot of confidence that it's not going to kill me.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
VeggieJake

Post by VeggieJake »

I honestly don't know why she won't let me it's different every time I ask her, like "it's too expensive" or "how will you get all your vitamins" and things like that. I will try to get her to see a dietician and see if that can convince her.
And she's an atheist, always have been.
Care+compassion=peace
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

VeggieJake wrote:I honestly don't know why she won't let me it's different every time I ask her, like "it's too expensive" or "how will you get all your vitamins" and things like that. I will try to get her to see a dietician and see if that can convince her.

It's probably better if you go see the dietician, although she could come with you. The nutrient concerns should be dismantled thereby. Vegan food is not expensive, that's ridiculous; beans, frozen vegetables and starches are all very cheap.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
VeggieJake

Post by VeggieJake »

I'll be sure to tell her that it is all cheap, thanks.
Care+compassion=peace
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

VeggieJake wrote:I'll be sure to tell her that it is all cheap, thanks.
Also, you could check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Vegan-4-00-Da ... 1570672571
- David Frum