sneaky carnist

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Re: sneaky carnist

Post by thebestofenergy »

Volenta wrote:Well, where should you draw the line? (Well, it's probably personal opinion) When doesn't it bother you?

What about vegan snacks that have been fried in a deep fryer that also has been used to fry meat snacks? Or buying a product that has the possibility of containing milk or eggs because it's made in a factory where they also produce products with milk and eggs (if there isn't an alternative)?

If you're bitching about small things you will inevitably be compared to a Muslim that does it out of purity... And since it doesn't necessary mean more suffering, where do you draw the line?
If you're buying products that contain a certain amount of animal products, even if little, you're inevitably supporting factory farming, you're giving them money, since it was intentional to put those products there.
If you buy something that has been fried in the deep fryer that has also been used to fry meat, or that has the possibility that contains milk or eggs, you're not. You pay for the vegan product only.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

thebestofenergy wrote:If you're buying products that contain a certain amount of animal products, even if little, you're inevitably supporting factory farming, you're giving them money, since it was intentional to put those products there.
If you buy something that has been fried in the deep fryer that has also been used to fry meat, or that has the possibility that contains milk or eggs, you're not. You pay for the vegan product only.
Surely I agree with that. But suppose you're at the end of a party and there is still some meat on the table that has not been eaten and would be thrown away if nobody is going to eat it. Even then you probably wouldn't eat it. If there are people around to see you do it, it can give the wrong impression that it's alright to eat it; so that should be a reason not to do it. But even if there's nobody around to see you do it (and you're also not supporting the factory farming since it otherwise would go into the trash bin), you probably still wouldn't do it, right? I know I wouldn't.
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

I haven't been vegan for as long as some other members but after being vegetarian for 3 years I can tell you that whenever I see meat and have the brief thought of I am hungry, my mind goes to what part of an animal it was from, the conditions it was probably raised in, and I get to sad and disgusted to eat it.
I really wouldn't hold it against a freegan who ate meat out of a dumpster, but it would totally gross me out.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Volenta wrote:But even if there's nobody around to see you do it (and you're also not supporting the factory farming since it otherwise would go into the trash bin), you probably still wouldn't do it, right? I know I wouldn't.
Yeah, I wouldn't do it, because I'd be grossed out.
But in that case, there's no rational reason why you shouldn't eat it. Like you said, people already paid for it, so the damage is already done, no one is seeing you (so you don't give the wrong impression), and it would go into the trash bin; so in this scenario you wouldn't do anything wrong.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.