what do i need to stay healthy

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Nik Joda
Diet: Vegan

what do i need to stay healthy

Post by Nik Joda »

Hey guys,
i do research for a long time and i still can not make the decision what i really need to stay healthy. I am allready vegetarian but if i shut down my cheese, egg and butter staff down ... i dont know how to replace the nutritions that is actually in it. Like Vitamin B12 or Vitamin D. I really dont want to take those nutritions as pills so i wanna ask what you do to stay healthy.
Or if i am totally wrong in what i need ... pls show me what excatly i need :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: what do i need to stay healthy

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The best way to get B12 and D is through supplements. There are chewable ones, which I recommend.

You CAN get vitamin D from the sun, but it's not a good idea to rely on that because:

1. You should stay out of the sun (skin cancer)
It's much healthier to take a pill

and:

2. Certain places and times, there's not much sunlight, like at very high or low latitudes, or during the winter (or in cloudy places).

B-12 is in fortified foods, but you shouldn't rely on that because it's unreliable since it's hard to measure. There's actually not much at all in cheese, egg or butter, or meat for that matter; it's mainly in liver and feces.
Many meat eaters also have low B-12 levels, unless they eat a lot of organ meats or feces. You're probably deficient now, and don't know it.

Other apes, along with most other terrestrial and mostly herbivorous non-ruminant species eat small quantities of their own feces as a supplement.

As a particularly strong example, rabbits produce two kinds of poop: one is eatin' poop and one is leavin' poop; they have very different compositions, moisture content, etc.

We silly humans stop our babies when they try to eat their poop for some reason. OK, maybe that's a good idea. A pill is less likely to challenge your immune system with potentially deadly bacteria.

Vegans in third world countries who don't supplement probably get all of the B-12 they need from contaminated water (you know, from the rivers and streams of murky brown water that they shit and bathe in, and drink from).

This is also not recommended.

Just take a pill. ;)
Nik Joda

Post by Nik Joda »

Is there anything else i have to worry about except V-B12 and B6?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Nik Joda wrote:Is there anything else i have to worry about except V-B12 and B6?
B6? B6 isn't something you need to worry about. It's abundantly present in plant foods, particularly whole grains, as are most vitamins and minerals.

If you get pregnant, you'll need to be concerned about choline.