Public School Teaching: Where Food Comes From

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Seachants
Diet: Vegan

Public School Teaching: Where Food Comes From

Post by Seachants »

Hi, the recent thread from another member got me wondering how free speech laws (in the U.S., but also elsewhere) affect which media public school teachers are allowed to show, and allowed to permit their students to show, in class. I went to junior high in California, where a teacher showed our class the entire film "Glory," which included a scene where a black man is whipped severely, and depictions of killing in war, and no one seemed to have a problem with that violence being shown to twelve and thirteen-year-olds. Many undercover factory farm videos aren't more violent than that, but I suspect that more teachers would hesitate to show them, or their school principals would not even permit it.

I work in an elementary school, where an older student often talks to me about food, asking questions and commenting on what we're having for lunch, which vitamins are in which foods, and where foods come from. He commented that his meat comes from an animal. When an aide heard me say that the meat comes from people killing an animal by cutting its throat or shooting it in the head, the aide stood up with her eyes wide (probably dilated pupils), and she said that she thinks it's inappropriate of me to the tell the student and that his parents need to know what he's being told. I said, "It's factual information." I gestured to my veggies and asked if she thinks it's inappropriate to say where they come from. She said no, because it's not sharing gruesome details. She had already finished her meal, but I would understand if she objected for their own personal reasons, such as losing her appetite, feeling guilty about what she's supporting the moment she bites into a chopped up carcass. But that wasn't the objection. (Note: I had never brought up where animal foods come from while anyone is eating before and don't intend to make a habit of it, but that wasn't the issue.)

I wonder if it's like with sex education in public schools, where the schools I know of here in California where I live and grew up require a parent permission slip for teachers to teach that. However, I have never heard of any school that requires a parent permission slip for teachers to teach where food comes from. Maybe that's because many public school teachers have a very limited idea of where animals foods come from and nutrition in general, mixed with advertising-induced myths and misleading information in food pyramid posters they put up on classroom walls, and also lack a desire to share where animal foods come from.

Does anyone else on the site work with children in a school? Any public school teachers here or other school employees (like school psychologists, school speech therapists, etc.)? Do you just stay silent about the topic of where animal foods come from if a child directly asks you or brings up the topic? Do you stay silent when you hear other teacher's spread misinformation about nutrition, teaching their students that they "need" meat to get protein and "need" milk to get calcium?

In an interview, Gary Yourofsky said that when he's invited to a kindergarten, first grade or second grade class to give a speech, the teachers tell him that he can't say how the animals are killed. In the interview, he said that he breaks the teachers' rules every time. I wonder if any teachers have actually stopped him during his lectures or told him that he can't say that without parent permission slips. (Here's the short interview, about three min.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NDvN5iXLcE)

I'd be interested in what other people think about the freedom of speech that people have in schools relating to the origins of our food, especially meat and dairy.

Kelly
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Public School Teaching: Where Food Comes From

Post by Jebus »

I often find myself in such a dilemma. I believe it is my duty as a good person to offset some of the bad things they have been taught by their parents. However, I also know I need to be careful so I don't lose my job. While at work, I usually don't hold back when talking to teenagers, but I watch my words when communicating with younger kids.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Seachants

Post by Seachants »

Hi, thanks for the response. So do you work as a high school teacher? When you say that you watch your words with younger kids, do you just follow your own inner guidelines about what you think is appropriate for them to hear, or what you think their parents regard as appropriate (even if you disagree) for them to hear? Maybe a mix of both?

I tried finding sites online that describe any trouble teachers have gotten into for showing or even just telling students about where animal food comes from, and I didn't see anything. I wonder if anyone has actually lost a job over it or if it's more just a feeling of fear that comes from reactions like what that aide showed with me.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Seachants wrote:Hi, thanks for the response. So do you work as a high school teacher?
No, I am a tennis teacher. I work with kids after school.
When you say that you watch your words with younger kids, do you just follow your own inner guidelines about what you think is appropriate for them to hear, or what you think their parents regard as appropriate (even if you disagree) for them to hear?
I try to push the limit of what I think the parents find appropriate. I can push veganism as long as I focus on the health advantages but I know I could get in trouble if I mention animal abuse or if I point out the dangers of consuming dairy etc. As far as my atheist agenda, I can get quite far just by asking questions. I don't mention that I am atheist or that I hate religion.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.