Sterilized flies: Thoughts?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
TheAddict
Diet: Vegan

Sterilized flies: Thoughts?

Post by TheAddict »

So there's been a kind of practice, in which scientists take fly eggs and heat them up with a dose of radiation. As a result of this practice, only male flies are born and they're born sterile.

They are later set free to mate with the female flies that are prominent in areas where food is grown. Thus decreasing the fly population around crops.
This technique has successfully eradicated the screw-worm fly, which used it's maggots to eat warm-blooded animals in North America.

Pros: It's not cruel per-se. There's no pain involved, and the population decreases without killing. They just don't make eggs. So there are less flies around food.

Cons: It's still a form of species population control, in which killing (even if not directly) is involved.

Discuss.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Sterilized flies: Thoughts?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I don't see any problems with this method.

Pest control is very important, and this method lets the flies die on their own, and just prevents them from reproducing.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: Sterilized flies: Thoughts?

Post by miniboes »

Sterilization is not very harmful as far as I know, especially for an animal with such minimal intelligence that it probably does not want a child to be emotionally fulfilled as a human might.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum