Easy Vegan Chocolate Pudding =D

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Easy Vegan Chocolate Pudding =D

Post by EquALLity »

I got this recipe from a book that's about veganism, but not specifically a recipe book. You can buy all of the ingredients from a regular supermarket, it's quick, and it produces awesome pudding.

For one serving (though I usually make two at once):
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1/2 a cup of chocolate non-dairy milk (the book says to use soy, but I use almond)

Combine all of the ingredients into a saucepan and whisk them on medium heat until it thickens to a pudding-like state. The book says to continue whisking until it cools to avoid lumps, but I'm usually impatient and eat some of it right away, and then put the rest in the fridge for later, and whisk it a bit when I take it out to eat.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Easy Vegan Chocolate Pudding =D

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You can use any kind of non-dairy milk, although if it's not sweet you need to add some sugar.

To do that, bring a tiny bit of water to a boil, and dissolve all of the sugar you want to add, then add in the other ingredients after the sugar is all dissolved (so you don't get any granules).

You can also use silken tofu instead of a soy milk, but you'll need a blender. Or creamy peanut butter.

Mix peanut butter with a little water, stir until it thickens, add more water, stir, etc. until you have a runny and homogeneous mix. Dissolve sugar in boiling water, and then mix in the 'peanut milk' with your other ingredients and mix until it thickens.

To mix corn starch and cocoa powder and liquid:

Mix the corn starch and cocoa powder first dry
Then add a tiny bit of liquid and make a thick paste
then more, then more, until you've mixed it all.

Always mix corn starch with not-boiling liquids, or it will thicken instead of mixing.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Well, if it's chocolate, won't it always be sweetened? Unless you want a different flavor, but then you probably wouldn't use cocoa powder.
I've always just combined all of the ingredients, turned on the heat, and whisked.
What's the difference?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote:Well, if it's chocolate, won't it always be sweetened? Unless you want a different flavor, but then you probably wouldn't use cocoa powder.
It's not always easy to find chocolate soy milk, or some times it might cost more.
EquALLity wrote:I've always just combined all of the ingredients, turned on the heat, and whisked.
What's the difference?
1. If you mix them in the wrong order, the starches will be converted into toxic arsonic by the chemical processes.

2. You get lumps, and it's harder to mix to get rid of all the lumps. Mix in the right order, and you don't need a whisk; ordinary spoon works fine.

Only one of the above is true.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

It's not always easy to find chocolate soy milk, or some times it might cost more.
They have a lot of chocolate, non-dairy milk in grocery stores where I live, but I don't know about how much more the chocolate would cost compared to a regular.
So if you got regular non-dairy milk, what would you do to make it chocolate-ey?
1. If you mix them in the wrong order, the starches will be converted into toxic arsonic by the chemical processes.

2. You get lumps, and it's harder to mix to get rid of all the lumps. Mix in the right order, and you don't need a whisk; ordinary spoon works fine.

Only one of the above is true.
Hahaha!
Ok. I guess getting three whisks for this was a waste.
This could still be useful information. Like, if all of the whisks are dirty, and I have a pudding craving...?
Even two really. One whisk is too large for pudding mixing, unless I want to make pudding for like, 20 people.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

EquALLity wrote: So if you got regular non-dairy milk, what would you do to make it chocolate-ey?
That's that the cocoa powder does. Add more for more chocolate flavour. Although ideally you should also add some vanilla extract, or chocolate extract, to fill out the flavour, since the cocoa powder loses a lot in the processing (which vanilla or chocolate extract helps replace).
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

That's that the cocoa powder does. Add more for more chocolate flavour. Although ideally you should also add some vanilla extract, or chocolate extract, to fill out the flavour, since the cocoa powder loses a lot in the processing (which vanilla or chocolate extract helps replace).
I was just thinking that if you add too much cocoa powder, the pudding texture might change a bit.
Thanks for the information.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Where did ya' find this recipe?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

RedAppleGP wrote:Where did ya' find this recipe?
A book I was reading a while back. Why?
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Maybe you stole it from the Food Network. like what I do.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci