Animal killing for Game of Thrones

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
DDDx8
Diet: Vegan

Animal killing for Game of Thrones

Post by DDDx8 »

I love the show but i'm pretty sure they kill some animals at least for authentication or whatever. The furs alone! But not just that the deer Tywin was skinning, pretty sure that was real, the various rabbits and pigeons....

If its wrong for animals to die for unnecessary consumption then it is wrong for them to die for unnecessary entertainment of any kind.

So, im conflicted I will watch the show but if what I said is true I should boycott it just like animal foods in my life.

Do you people have issues with this? It seems like we should. Or maybe all the instances of seemingly real dead animals were just fake props and I'm whipping myself for nothing.
To find the world of shoulds so one day others might not have to suffer like the people in the world now.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Animal killing for Game of Thrones

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I do. I hate when animals are used or killed for in movies or tv shows. Anytime there are horses, furs, dogs, etc in a movie, i get really annoyed.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

I do have problems with this issue. Not only do I despise the very existence of animals being used in movies/tv shows, but it's also hard to avoid tv shows/movies that do not contain them. One movie that got me very upset was the Life of Pi, where if I had know that they had used a live tiger to showcase, I would have never spent money on watching (in case you're asking yourself why I saw the movie without and knowledge of it's specifics, I did not decide to watch the movie, I was out with friends and it was sort of an unscheduled event to watch it.).
She's beautiful...
yes

Post by yes »

It is wrong for the animals to be used and/or killed for are entertainment but i don't think that you should stop watching shows in which animals are exploited altogether. That's like not going to restrants that also have meat on there menu. It is not hurting the animal to watch that show. but that's my own morals some people feel different.But it really comes down to whether you think its ok to watch the show.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

yes wrote:It is wrong for the animals to be used and/or killed for are entertainment but i don't think that you should stop watching shows in which animals are exploited altogether. That's like not going to restrants that also have meat on there menu. It is not hurting the animal to watch that show. but that's my own morals some people feel different.But it really comes down to whether you think its ok to watch the show.
But there's a difference. When you go to a restaurant that's not vegan and you order vegan, you're supporting the change to veganism, you're not giving money to people to exploit/harm animals; and if more people would keep ordering vegan, then the restaurant would make more vegan meals.
If you watch a TV show, then you'd automatically support all what that TV show is doing/having in it, by increasing their view count (even if the change you're making is insignificant, you're still making a change).
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
klonoa

Post by klonoa »

I agree with the VA.
I would like to point out that Peter Dinklage is a vegetarian
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

thebestofenergy wrote: But there's a difference. When you go to a restaurant that's not vegan and you order vegan, you're supporting the change to veganism, you're not giving money to people to exploit/harm animals; and if more people would keep ordering vegan, then the restaurant would make more vegan meals.
If you watch a TV show, then you'd automatically support all what that TV show is doing/having in it, by increasing their view count (even if the change you're making is insignificant, you're still making a change).
It could be more comparable to the decor of the restaurant. If you come into the restaurant, the automatic assumption might be that you are attracted by the decor. So they might think: Wow, these people really love the animal heads on the wall, we should get more.

You can undo this by speaking out, and being critical of the animal exploitation. Write HBO and tell them you like the show, but when they show animal cruelty it makes you want to stop watching.

If they get enough letters on the subject, it will incline them to show less of that (and do less of it) in the future.
If you don't watch the show anyway, they have no reason to listen to you, right? Just as a restaurant wouldn't care what non-patrons had to say about the decor.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

klonoa wrote:I agree with the VA.
I would like to point out that Peter Dinklage is a vegetarian

Dinklage defends the series, here:
Award-winning Game of Thrones star Peter Dinklage, who plays the popular character Tyrion Lannister on the show, is himself a member of PETA and a vegetarian, but on this issue he seems to disagree with Newkirk and the organization. “We’ve never had an instance of any animals being harmed on our show, not that I’m aware of,” Dinklage said in a recent interview with an English newspaper. “This is a fantasy series, and in the world these characters inhabit, animal cruelty is just a part of their everyday lives. They can’t simply walk into a grocery store and get food like we can today. I don’t think we’re glorifying these animal deaths, and if I did, I wouldn’t be a part of this series.”
http://nationalreport.net/peta-demandin ... e-thrones/

The pressure PETA is applying may reduce their unnecessary depictions of violence against animals.

At the same time, though, Dinklage is right: these things are depicted as gruesome, and they aren't really being glorified.
If anything, I'd wager that some of those scenes made some new vegetarians, rather than encouraging people to eat meat.

If that's the case, it becomes a more complicated question of consequentialism.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

I just have to say that it's incredible to see how many animals are (mis)used in movies. You're really noticing it after going veg*n and caring for animal rights.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Volenta wrote:I just have to say that it's incredible to see how many animals are (mis)used in movies. You're really noticing it after going veg*n and caring for animal rights.
I soon realized the I cried after watching Old Yellar for the wrong reasons.
She's beautiful...