Pet Ownership (Animal Domestication)

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
vbatman987
Diet: Vegan

Pet Ownership (Animal Domestication)

Post by vbatman987 »

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, so I'll try to be brief. I have recently been curious about the vegan diet and lifestyle. Watching the documentaries and persuasive videos I have, I found little issue with turning vegan (except the occasional reminiscence of fried eggs and cheese xD). I want to make the change and I do avoid any dairy products when I can. I am still a teenager and can't support myself financially. I was very open to trying a new lifestyle and moral disposition; however, while I share your (theVeganAtheist's) opinion regarding breeding and overpopulation of pets, I have a desire for companionship with future pets. After my best friends are gone, I hope to continue to adopt/rescue from my local shelter. Is it still unjust to have a pet, treat it like family, and mourn the loss if the breeding aspect for pets is gone? I have actually found this to be the one transition that I'm having trouble accepting and letting go. Has anyone had the same issue? Please respond with any helpful information.

Science Bless
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Pet Ownership (Animal Domestication)

Post by Jebus »

I have five dogs which I have rescued from various shitty situations. They are all fed a vegan diet so I can't see anything unjust about this.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Like Jebus said, just adopt a dog from a shelter. There's nothing inherently wrong with having dogs.

There's a debate thread on this here: http://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewto ... eash#p1677

We discuss the hypothetical question of whether dogs should be bred AFTER all of the shelters are empty and the stray population is gone, or if domestic dogs should go extinct.
It's a short debate.

The case for breeding dogs if some day all shelters are empty/there are no longer strays and the industry is properly regulated wins out.

TVA didn't post again saying if his opinion changed or not, but he's outvoted on this one. ;)

Dogs are easy to feed vegan diets (like humans, they are omnivorous; they can eat just meat, or just plants, or both), except for very large breeds as puppies who need extra supplements because they grow too fast and their bodies can't keep up on a normal diet (this 'unnatural' size is a consequence of human selection and breeding which has screwed them up, like other dogs that have chronic breathing problems, etc. IMO those kinds of dogs with chronic health problems should not be bred ever, even if the shelters are empty, it's cruel. Inbreeding is bad.).

Also, make sure to have them neutered or spayed, so as not to contribute more to overpopulation.

But other than that, just make sure you can afford it. Dogs are expensive.

I do not recommend cats (although I like cats, they are not pack animals, and they like to roam and kill small animals, which is something that is disallowed when they are kept inside for their safety- it's hard to keep them happy and healthy, and they're more difficult to feed a vegan diet since they have different nutritional requirements).
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

[quote="brimstoneSalad"]Dogs are expensive./quote]

Although a lot less so if fed a homemade vegan diet. Over the years I have fed my dogs both dog food and home made omni food, but since they went vegan we have had fewer health issues, less stinky flatulence, and they also look better. I got most of the food ideas from here: http://www.vegan-heartland.com/2012/06/ ... -food.html
Last edited by Jebus on Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jebus wrote: Although a lot less so if fed a homemade vegan diet.
True. The largest cost is medical, which can be greatly reduced by a good diet.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

In a way I think having pets might be important for us to realize animals are not so different from ourselves. On the other hand, i know people with pet chicken that eat chicken all the same.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
vbatman987

Post by vbatman987 »

That's good to hear. But, I also have a cat, and I've had him since he was a little 3-month old kitten. He always calls for me, and i love playing with him. He is an outdoor cat, and we always leave windows open for him to come in and out. Can i feed him a vegan diet? If cats are allowed open space and freedom to roam, how about then?
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

vbatman987 wrote:Can i feed him a vegan diet?
Unfortunately this is not recommended for his health.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

vbatman987 wrote:Can i feed him a vegan diet?
Yes, but you have to test his urine pH. Female cats are easier, males are prone to urinary problems due to a pH that is too low (oxalate crystals) or too high (struvite crystals).

However, if you formulate your own vegan cat food, the issue should be possible to avoid.

There's also the option of feeding him partially freegan, and partially vegan. A part meat diet should resolve any urinary problems. You should never buy meat for cats, due to the cruelty involved in the industry.

Feeding your cat freegan would involve obtaining free meat (e.g. odds and ends that are being thrown away, or that are going bad) from your local butcher or grocery (or dumpster).
vbatman987 wrote:If cats are allowed open space and freedom to roam, how about then?
It's generally dangerous for the cat (cars, neighbors to poison him, predators), as well as the local wildlife which he is hunting and killing.

The only situation I would say is if you had a really big house, or a farm in which you actually needed pest control for other reasons.
vbatman987 wrote:He is an outdoor cat, and we always leave windows open for him to come in and out.
In that case, he is probably already killing and eating small animals outside. You should be able to feed him a vegan diet at home which he will supplement himself by hunting. But you will still need to test his urine pH regularly in order to be sure.

Here's the best commercial vegan catfood (and catfood suplement) supplier available: http://www.vegepet.com/vegetarian_cats.html