Impossible Burger Animal Testing

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Traceyphillips
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 am
Religion: None (Atheist)
Diet: Vegan

Re: Impossible Burger Animal Testing

Post by Traceyphillips » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 am

Prophiscient wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:00 pm
While I don't like that animal testing is done, I don't consider animal tested products to be non-vegan. If a product was completely vegan but was also tested on animals, I'd still consider that product to be vegan.
I mean, this defeats the object of becoming Vegan, no?

Of course there's loads of different reasons to become vegan, but animal testing is against everything we stand for.

User avatar
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Posts: 2975
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Toluca Lake

Post by Red » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am

Traceyphillips wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 am
Prophiscient wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:00 pm
While I don't like that animal testing is done, I don't consider animal tested products to be non-vegan. If a product was completely vegan but was also tested on animals, I'd still consider that product to be vegan.
I mean, this defeats the object of becoming Vegan, no?

Of course there's loads of different reasons to become vegan, but animal testing is against everything we stand for.
Everything we stand for? What would that include? And what exactly is the object of being vegan?

I don't think that 'standing' for something is a good idea. It clouds the mind with deontological thinking, and treats something (in this case veganism) as more of an ideology rather than a mechanism for doing the most good. And, at least to me, it gives off the impression that you aren't going to change your mind on a particular thing no matter what the evidence says.

Animal testing, wherever useful, is a good thing, and does not automatically render something non-vegan, especially if that thing will result in less animals being killed in the longrun. Here, it's kind of expected for the researchers to test animals so they have some idea of what the burger should taste like, so people don't get turned off from eating it.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci

Prophiscient
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:16 pm
Religion: None (Atheist)

Post by Prophiscient » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Traceyphillips wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:04 am
Prophiscient wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:00 pm
While I don't like that animal testing is done, I don't consider animal tested products to be non-vegan. If a product was completely vegan but was also tested on animals, I'd still consider that product to be vegan.
I mean, this defeats the object of becoming Vegan, no?

Of course there's loads of different reasons to become vegan, but animal testing is against everything we stand for.
I disagree. Buying meat, dairy, and eggs increases the demand for animal products which increases animal suffering. However, increasing the demand for products that have been tested on animals doesn't increase animal suffering as long as those products are already vegan, because animal testing is not an ongoing thing.

Therefore, while I don't think that animal testing is a good thing, I don't think vegans need to boycott animal-tested products.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests