Open Letter to Matt

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
bobo0100
Diet: Vegan

Re: Open Letter to Matt

Post by bobo0100 »

Its looking great with the "matt with kale" screen cap. :lol:
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

bobo0100 wrote:Its looking great with the "matt with kale" screen cap. :lol:
If you liked that you will love my other artworks; "richard dawkins with christmas hat" and "peter singer with hotdog"
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
bobo0100 wrote: TVA is only uploading the video now. So minibose is doing the editing.
I know. Doing a thirty second intro is a lot different from doing a twenty to thirty minute video. I'm sure TVA will have no problems doing a 30 sec intro, and it will help prevent confusion from viewers.
Yes I will do a intro to the video explaining.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I need opinions. Am I making the video too goofy?

(This is an image to illustrate that Richard Dawkins is a big deal (big fish), and Matt is not so much.)
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

miniboes wrote:I need opinions. Am I making the video too goofy?
Maintaining TVA's style is secondary to producing a good quality video, and your illustration are high quality. I think the "goofy" style will not takeaway from the video.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I'm a bit confused about copyright. I show images briefly. I only take images that allow commercial reuse and modification, but some require attribution. Is this really needed, or is it covered by fair use?
- David Frum
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

miniboes wrote:I'm a bit confused about copyright. I show images briefly. I only take images that allow commercial reuse and modification, but some require attribution. Is this really needed, or is it covered by fair use?
I don't think many worry about copyright for photos/images, But if it need's to be attributed I'm sure a link/name in the description will be enough. Keep a list and pass it on to TVA, but don't stress if any are left out.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Like Bobo said, just keep a list if it needs to be attributed.

Fair use is very tricky, because it has to be the specific thing you're critiquing, and not something else used to critique that thing.
Like if you found a picture of a shark or whatever, you couldn't just use that as fair use, since you aren't critiquing that particular picture of the shark, you're critiquing Matt. And even with a particular photo of Matt; you aren't critiquing that photo of Matt, so it was unnecessary to show it (thus not fair use). What a mess.

Now collages are another matter. If you cut pictures apart so you're only using a small bit, and it's not easily recognizable, that changes things. But case law is unclear on exactly how or to what extent.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Here's a 7 minute sample:
https://youtu.be/AO-LhNFvWGU

Thoughts?
- David Frum
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

miniboes wrote:Thoughts?
Lets start with 6:25. A little bit shocking. Wasn't really expecting to see an image of someone having there head chopped off. Maybe an image of extremists showing off there guns or something. no need to be unnecessary confronting.

------------------------------------------------------------

The white background is a bit static. there are open source abstract pictures and loop-able videos that would make a much better background.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The music is cut a little awkwardly. an experimental fade goes a long way.

one thing this video is completely missing is sound effects (or foley), especially with your sue of illustrator it is aloud to be cheesy. however I don't think you can get much corner than the folly used in inspector Javerts suicide in the 2012 film adaptation of the musical adaptation of the novel "Les Miserable" ((2:46) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzvdQh8D2Q). The sweeping could be accompanied by a sweeping noise. Whenever things move around the screen you can have some sore to crank or sliding noise. If something (perhaps a big fish) falls in from the sky it could land with a splash. To his credit TVA does this well in most of his video's, not sure if it still holds true in his really old videos, but check them out for a better understanding of what I mean.

In video its best to keep the variety of transitions limited, and when varied, do so with a purpose (a slow fade represents the passing of time). I would suggest using movement based transitions with folly to suit.

I think you need to use a wider variety of images, and keep in mind how they are crouped. 0:57 Singer is looking appropriately insightful, but the background is a bit plain. and his not the only example.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This can be hit and miss as for how it effects tone, but if you can loop the funny music and adjust the volume appropriately. If TVA has anyone lined up in his recording comments for future videos list, maybe we can get them to read some or all of Matts comments.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6:56
This feels awkward. I see two possible fixes, I can read and upload the full comment (when I recover from my cold), or you can underline the part of the text I read. TVA's treatment of comments his read, that others authored, is to use an effect to deepen or slow down his voice, (with this he went overboard on the shark rescue video) the effects I have on my computer are minimal so I did not do this myself but you may be able to now.

I'm all negative's, but it is looking nice.