Open Letter to Matt

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Re: Open Letter to Matt

Post by Lightningman_42 »

I just finished listening to the audio. Well done! I can't wait to see TheVeganAtheist put out a video with this audio. You very clearly explained the goal of TheVeganAtheist's criticism of Matt and his reasons for doing so.

It rather baffles me how Matt acts as if he either does not understand the criticism when it has been so clearly explained to him already, or that it is so beneath him that he dismisses it. He refuses to properly clarify his stance on such an important issue of secular morality (something he supposedly cares about). Thinking about all topics of discussion, rationally, with an open mind is important in order to be intellectually honest. TheVeganAtheist does this, and he has my respect for it. Matt, however, does not; he is only rational on topics for which he feels comfortable with being rational about. Because of this, he does not have my respect.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

ArmouredAbolitionist wrote:Matt, however, does not; he is only rational on topics for which he feels comfortable with being rational about. Because of this, he does not have my respect.
I think Matt is a prime example of someone who strives to be rational. We all have out biases, and this can lead to the selective use of reason. I would still respect him if he did not so much as comment about this letter.

as for the letter i cant help but voice this one small critique, a minor contradiction
We cannot stress enough that we are not trying to turn you vegetarian
vs
That, however, was not your position, and it obviously does not represent your diet
is it not best to keep his dietary habit's out of this? I know its a bit late for this critique.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Great job, man!

I could make animations for this if needed. Is it?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Kyron

Post by Kyron »

That was a great listen. You shouldn't be so self-conscious of your lisp. Your voice is fine and it's very engaging, the lisp isn't really a bother.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

I very much enjoyed the audio! Your pronunciation was excellent.
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

Kyron wrote:That was a great listen. You shouldn't be so self-conscious of your lisp. Your voice is fine and it's very engaging, the lisp isn't really a bother.
I consider myself a moderately good speaker, and have not been to bothered by my lisp. I have however had my lisp pointed out by many of my "friends". My concern was that it could take away from the video. Please don't be overly nice based on an insecurity, if anything sounds awkward, or slow, please tell me and I will try to fix it.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

How are we going to publish it?

TVA, do you want the letter to be on your channel?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

miniboes wrote:How are we going to publish it?

That was the original plan, however I'm not sure if he knows the audio is finished. I sent him a pm on the forum but I'm not sure if pm's are working. Its safe to say this weeks video will be on "Vegan Gains".
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

bobo0100 wrote:
miniboes wrote:How are we going to publish it?

That was the original plan, however I'm not sure if he knows the audio is finished. I sent him a pm on the forum but I'm not sure if pm's are working. Its safe to say this weeks video will be on "Vegan Gains".

Hi, i have received your pm, sorry i didnt respond. I am under the weather fighting a bad cold. No new video this week. The Vegan Gains video wont come out for a few weeks as I have a couple of videos on the go before.

Im not sure If I have time to work on this follow up to Matt. If someone would like to step up and create the video, please feel free. If you like, I can upload it to my channel, but Im not sure if i will have the time to work on it (if I do it will be a couple of months).
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Good luck with your cold!

I can do the editing, I've done things like this before. I can start tomorrow and upload a sample.
- David Frum