The Yesbick Bet. How to make people Vegan!

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Fayrow
Diet: Vegan

The Yesbick Bet. How to make people Vegan!

Post by Fayrow »

The Yesbick Bet

This is a simple method I created to get people to try veganism. It's by no means perfect, but it has some results.

Basically, a lot of people who are sympathetic to vegans complain about the cost. Now, vegans know this is practically a nonissue for the most part, but it's a perception that exists, like it or not.

What I do is I offer someone $100 if they try veganism for a week and don't feel completely better. I've done this bet over 20 times and no one has ever taken the money. I suppose since it's based on the honor system someone could cheat, but that's a risk I run. It's for this reason I don't offer it to strangers over the internet, but more often coworkers, friends, and people I meet at comedy clubs and bars.

As for what is vegan, I don't really consider things like V8 a violation of the rules simply because I don't expect everyone casually doing this bet to read into every little ingredient in everything. A trace of fish isn't going to make someone feel worse for the purpose of this experiment. People are doing the best I can, and if I win the bet, they will start to take veganism more seriously. Now, if they tell me they drank V8, I'll mention that it's not technically vegan but I won't hold it against them since they didn't know.

Here's the (approximate) results I've had:
  • Did not finish the bet: 8
    Finished the bet but cheated by being ovo-lacto and admitted it felt better then started eating meat again: 6
    Finished the bet and went vegetarian: 6
    Finished the bet and went vegan: 4
    Finished the bet and ate meat again the next day: 2 (admitted it felt better)
Granted, that's not the highest success rate, but it's significant given so few people in the USA are vegan. Even the ones that did not finish admitted it felt a lot better but they were busy and only 2 seemed uninterested in ever considering veganism again. I'm actually surprised at how many people finished the bet to be honest.

Tips:

Say that you feel better. People are more likely to do something if it helps them then just for charity. (Obviously I've worked in sales before :) )
Imply that the $100 is to recover grocery cost increase. Mention they can do whatever they want with it though. This is literally the biggest hang-up most people seem to have.
Recommend almond milk. People love it more than soy. Recommending almond milk is pivotal since cereal is such an easy thing to make.
Recommend Amy's microwavable dinners and soups. They are a must if someone has a busy week and isn't used to being vegan.
Gardein is amazing. Their chickenless chicken strips and fishless filets are incredible.
Tell them that they already eat many vegan things, they just may not be aware. Spaghetti, PB and J, bagels, cereal, fruits, nuts, et cetera.
Tell them to text you if they have any questions.
Warn them that the first 2 days are the hardest, but it will be worth it

That's about it really. If anyone has any suggestions or questions, feel free to comment.
My Youtube channels:

Personal sketch comedy channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCojlXN ... y25tH3Eg2w

Inside the Muddle, a weekly NFL sketch comedy show: https://www.youtube.com/user/InsideTheMuddle
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: The Yesbick Bet. How to make people Vegan!

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That's great! Thanks for sharing this.

Do you have any updates on how long some of them stayed vegan? Or do you know?
Fayrow

Post by Fayrow »

brimstoneSalad wrote:That's great! Thanks for sharing this.

Do you have any updates on how long some of them stayed vegan? Or do you know?

I honestly don't know.
My Youtube channels:

Personal sketch comedy channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCojlXN ... y25tH3Eg2w

Inside the Muddle, a weekly NFL sketch comedy show: https://www.youtube.com/user/InsideTheMuddle
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

intersting bet. I may try that with the people in my life. Thanks for sharing.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics