House Mice

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Lucrecious

House Mice

Post by Lucrecious »

I'm vegan, I'm not sure how to get rid of house mice.

I don't have a car, I don't have any forests near by, and no stores near me have any non-kill traps (the sticky traps don't work because the mice get stuck to it and can't be released after caught).

Buying traps online aren't really a solution either since they would take far too long to get here.

Any ideas? What do any of you guys do?
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: House Mice

Post by miniboes »

"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

I bought a vegan mouse trap at Wal-Mart- Mouse walks in-can't get out- I release him on neighbor's garden.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You could put out food laced with birth control, although that also takes a bit of time to kick in.

Why the urgency?
Lucrecious

Post by Lucrecious »

Because they're in a place that we keep the food in. I've lost a lot of money from mouse infested food so :/ My place is small and there's not much room for anything, so having to clear the storage area sucks. It also smells like mice crap in there.

So I'll look into it more I guess.

Thanks guys.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Lucrecious wrote:Because they're in a place that we keep the food in. I've lost a lot of money from mouse infested food so :/
Invest in a few airtight sealing plastic containers. Mice can and will chew through bags (paper or plastic), but can't chew through thick tupperware or metal.
Lucrecious wrote:My place is small and there's not much room for anything, so having to clear the storage area sucks.
Good containers will assist in organizing your storage area by stacking.
Lucrecious wrote:It also smells like mice crap in there.
Clean it up once, put the food in containers. The mice will go away. They don't hang out places where there's nothing to eat.
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I remember a number of years ago my Dad tried out a no-kill mouse trap. I never saw it but based on his description it was like some kind of small, probably metal or plastic box that he could put some food inside and when the mouse went in, the trap would shut and lock the mouse inside. One time when it caught a mouse and my Dad opened it to find the mouse, while it was still alive, my Dad exclaimed to me how traumatized and in fear the mouse seemed to be. Supposedly, according to my Dad the mouse was soaked in sweat, probably from being frantic on how to get out of the situation it was put in and by fear. So, while I'd like to find some good no-kill traps that don't traumatize them either, I haven't spent the time to do so, mostly since I haven't had any mice in my house (or at least none that were bothersome or noticeable.) So, I haven't asked my Mom to replace the traps that kill with some alternatives for removing mouse infestations. However, I'll look into some alternatives now, since it may just be a matter of time before I do get some mice coming into my house.