Vegan Wine

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Vegan Wine

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I've never been a big wine drinker, but recently Ive actually started to enjoy it. The trouble is finding vegan wines, especially white wines. I spend a lot of time at the liquor store with my cellphone on the barnivore website.

Anyone here drink wine? Any recommendations for vegan wines to try?
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Soycrates

Re: Vegan Wine

Post by Soycrates »

Even though white wine is not really my thing (I'm either red wine, beer, whiskey or cognac) the two companies I know of that I'd go to for either red or white are Sandbanks Estate or Waupoos. I never knew that so many white wines were non-vegan! It sure is a lot easier finding a vegan red.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Soycrates wrote:Even though white wine is not really my thing (I'm either red wine, beer, whiskey or cognac) the two companies I know of that I'd go to for either red or white are Sandbanks Estate or Waupoos. I never knew that so many white wines were non-vegan! It sure is a lot easier finding a vegan red.
those are both fairly local wineries. Are you in Ontario as well? Is that a coincidence or are you into Ontario wine?
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

What animal products do they use in wine then? I'm surprised.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Various kinds of animal based gelatin, to clarify the wine, usually.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

miniboes wrote:What animal products do they use in wine then? I'm surprised.
Here is what is mentioned on the barnivore website:

"It might seem weird at first, but your favourite drink might have more than just alcohol in it.

Brewmasters, winemakers, and distillers may include animal ingredients in their products directly, or they might use them in the processing and filtration.

When making the product, dairy, honey, and other things are ingredients in the final recipe.

When filtering the drinks prior to bottling, companies can use things like isinglass (from fish bladder,) gelatin, egg whites, and sea shells, among other things. These products grab onto the impurities and make it easier to catch them in the filters, though there are many animal-free alternatives in use."
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

That's interesting, luckily I hadn't gotten to the legal age to start drinking beverages with alcohol in them, where I may have started drinking full glasses of it, (I've had tiny sips of alcohol on a couple occasions,) and luckily haven't unknowingly consumed any of it since becoming Vegan, and will now definitely check out any alcoholic beverages on whether they're Vegan or not before buying them when I'm of the age to start drinking them if I so choose to drink them in the future.

Though, from now on I'll probably never touch any alcohol anyways since I have a history of family members being alcoholics, luckily neither of my parents were, though some of my grandparents and uncles were, so I'd worry about myself being more likely to become an alcoholic than the average person if I were to start drinking it. Then there's the hassle of finding out whether the alcohol I'm interested in is Vegan or not. As well as, as I mentioned earlier I've occasionally had very tiny sips of alcoholic beverages on rare/special occasions before I was Vegan, and hated the taste, so that's even more reason to never start a habit of drinking them.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Absolutely, if you're not a drinker, there's no reason to start.

It's just harmful to your health, your wallet, and to others (even a vegan alcoholic beverage).
noelle

Post by noelle »

I am lucky to live near a grocery store that has a huge selection of alcohol, which I am fairly certain carries many varieties of vegan wines. But that is my geographic advantage of living close to a Woodman's.

I have found that, surprisingly, vodka is more likely to be vegan than anything. Especially Scandinavian vodkas, believe it or not. Absolut seems to pride itself on being vegan, and there are cheaper brands that are also vegan.

Myself, I have a bottle of non-vegan wine sitting in my fridge indefinitely because it was a gift from the MIL. Hopefully I can get her to drink it up the next time she visits.