What do you think of Bullfighting?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Red
Supporter
Supporter
Diet: Vegan

What do you think of Bullfighting?

Post by Red »

(I just wanted to make a post real quick)So yea recently I was supposed to do a school project about bullfighting, and I came across this article from PETA about bullfighting and how it eventually kills the poor thing (The Bull). Now I'm not a fan of PETA, but I don't really support bullfighting either, as it is cruel to the animal, and it isn't natural for it to be used for a sport. I also read somewhere that the bull's horns are cut off, and is isolated from other bulls. The bull also faces more pain and suffering, and I'm not willing to type it out here. I dunno, I hope I'm reading correct sources. The links are below. Anyways, what are your thoughts on bullfighting?

PETA's- http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-e ... lfighting/
LCA's- http://www.lcanimal.org/index.php/campa ... llfighting
Wikipedia-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animalist_ ... to_Animals
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Soycrates

Re: What do you think of Bullfighting?

Post by Soycrates »

There is some really nice commentary on the tradition of bullfighting in the new animated movie The Book of Life. (Without trying to spoil too much) the main character's ancestors were all famous bullfighters and his father expects him to become the same (despite wanting to be a musician). It manages to show that traditions can be fought against and changed, without losing what is really important about your culture and your familial/community values.

Killing and/or exploiting animals for entertainment is never justifiable.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

RedAppleGP wrote:Anyways, what are your thoughts on bullfighting?
I think anyone should be able to realize how incredibly cruel this "sport" is. The only defenses of bull-fighting are speciesist arrogance and tradition (logical fallacy; something being a tradition has no bearing on how ethical/unethical it is).

Bullfighting, like hunting, does not deserve to be called a sport, because some of the participants have unfair advantages, while the others don't even want to participate...
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Alex55hp
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Alex55hp »

I think Bullfighting is a purely disgusting "sport". Whenever I see animal cruelty videos that include it, I'm just wishing that the bull would ram straight into the people. I don't see how anyone could be so heartless.
“If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we would all be vegetarian.”
― Paul McCartney
metalized

Post by metalized »

I cannot understand all those idiots who go and watch bullfighting, so they can say they had a real good taste of the hispanic culture. Morons...
HellNo
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by HellNo »

Funny how they call such 'sports' as 'manly'. I mean come on... it is like shooting people with disabilities.

Not all animals can fight back and the action itself is heartless... seems more cowardly than manly to me. Hunting in mind.

I guess playing with guns seems fun (cannot say for sure, here in Canada I have never touched a gun =P)... but using them to hurt other sentient life, out of entertainment, tradition, and self-interest, is just wrong and disgusting.

Strange and unappealing that those who participate in these sports enjoy hurting animals, yet (at least, thankfully) they will never do that to a human, especially one who is disabled. They say it is making them look mighty and feel that it prevents animal population from going out of control. I personally feel mighty when making the right choices and realizes that I do not belong in the ranks of rapists, murderers, extremists, etc., and for the second point. hey, human population is on the rise too and they are taking over the planet, let's hunt and shoot down humans >:D
It sucks to be labelled as a 'cow' and an 'immoral bastard' just for being a vegetarian and an atheist, respectively, but I find it liberating to know that my lifestyle is based upon compassion and science! Not some total BS.