Stupid Things Omnivores Say

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin
Diet: Vegan

Stupid Things Omnivores Say

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

Have a personal account of stupidity in your life regarding veganism? Want to vent? We would love to hear about it.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
itsund3rmykilt

Re: Stupid Things Omnivores Say

Post by itsund3rmykilt »

This will probably sound like it doesn't belong here, but keep reading. If it doesn't fit, please feel free to remove it, or ask me to.

I could go on and on with a typical story of this one person I know who couldn't even categorize what an animal is, or what gelatin is made from, but I think I have one that tops those:

So, a couple of years ago I had a "falling out" with myself, which included my veganism. It was a HORRIBLE time for me. The cognitive dissonance was killing me, I felt awful mentally and in the same time frame I managed to accumulate MASSIVE gallstones that got me really sick from almost anything with no warning, and I had to have my gallbladder removed.

How does this turn into a rant about "stupid things omnivores say" you ask? WELL. Keep in mind that I was already beating myself up because in my head I was still the same person I was while adhering to veganism, so it still triggered me when people said stupid things, and I still can't get over what I'm about to say. Are you ready? Because I'm pretty sure this tops almost any thing I have EVER heard from ANYONE. Period.

My boss decided to impart her wisdom on me and tell me that the reason I got gallstones was because I didn't eat enough cholesterol. Yes, you heard that correctly. I didn't eat enough of the stuff that gives you gallstones in the first place and exacerbates the problem. Now let me tell you, during this small time frame in which everything went haywire in my life, I went back to my old dairy cheese addict ways. There was no way in hell I wasn't eating a TON of cholesterol. The only time I had problems with my gallbladder was when I was eating cholesterol (or drinking). Can anyone make sense of that? I know I can't. I couldn't even form a rebuttal towards what she said because it was so far beyond the realms of making sense. I just stared.

I suppose she could have been trying to say that being vegan had made me "weak" or whatever, but these attacks didn't start right away. It took at least six to eight months before I had any signs of something being wrong with me. I'm even starting to think that I had signs that something like this was wrong with me when I was a kid, because I had the same sort of horrible thing happen to me once or twice when eating a lot of dairy cheese and animal meat. Not to mention the fact that gallstones do appear to be genetic, and unbeknownst to me my grandparents had them like crazy. So, if anything my vegan lifestyle had actually saved me from having this problem sooner. I might not have even had the problem if it weren't for going back to my old omnivore habits for a while there.

Almost two years ago and this situation still bothers me and invades my brain space on a regular basis. Christ.
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

I tought the 'It's okay to eat animals because God put them here for us to eat' would be the most annoying thing I'd read.
But I was wrong.
Here there are some things I read on Youtube's comment section:

'I'm ok with vegetarian, but vegan is just supid'
'Vegan? lol, you must be a troll'
'You're murdering plants *random insult*'
'Save a rock, eat a vegan' (that actually made me laugh a bit)
'Vegan is just stupid. There wouldn't be enough plants in the world to sustain veganism'
'Why are you such a crybaby about it? Just man up and accept the destiny animals have'
'It's a small sacrifice for a greater good'
'Why do you care? Animals don't feel'
'I don't understand vegans. Why murder plants over animals?'
'Have fun being vegan and being sick all the time'
'Vegans will not be a problem for much more. Their shitty diet will kill them soon'
'Lol, wtf, you can't eat anything!'
'Hmm, I love eating a stake while watching Earthlings'

The worst part is that most of these people are not trolls. It's jaw-dropping, really mind-melting.
I wonder what is the amount of people like these you could meet in real life.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I've seen many of those same kind of comments. I think they have lost all impact on me at this point. I think only live one-on-one in person comments would only shock me. Online comments have pretty much desensitized me.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

One of my "mates" who wants to become a tuna fish farmer is so happy to inform me that "fish can't feel pain" even my meat eater friends agree with me on this one.

I'm surrounded by christions so I off tern get the "animals don't have a sole" that pisses me off. Another great comment Catholicism has given onto me it the classic "jesus ate fish" or "god gave us dominion over the animals" to witch I normally point out he churches impact on other moral issues such as slavery.

Yet another classic "I don't care".

Can I through in, the constant mockery I get whenever meat cheese milk or eggs are mentioned on a TV program, youtube video, or by a meat eater who is very soon to find out about my veganism.
Last edited by bobo0100 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

Lions do it!
Humans are natural omnivores!
where do you get your protein
but but B12
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

I have this stupid comment from a Youtube video.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-pkltt- ... 2&index=28 (Comic 6)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

@RedAppleGP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

I'm always amazed by the fact that totally insane comments somehow manage to get (many) upvotes—usually more than the veg*n ones. In this case only one, but still… I can understand that most people aren't vegan, but that doesn't mean that you should agree with irrational comments so you can justify your habits. It's amazing how powerful cognitive dissonance can be.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

"I love animals"
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum