Owning cats is not vegan

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Kaz1983
Diet: Vegan

Re: Owning cats is not vegan

Post by Kaz1983 »

teo123 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:06 am
Kaz1983 wrote:Here's a picture of him, try tell me he doesn't look happy and relaxed!
Well, to me it looks like he is very sleepy. Or, possibly but unlikely, that he is panicking and can't move out of fear. Nothing to suggest he likes people. If he did, why would he be hiding under a bed?
Seriously man, do you think that's all does? ... that photo was taken last summer and that's the only tiled part of the lounge room.. tiles are colder than carpet and rugs. Ohhh we didn't have the air-conditioner last summer - it gets hot in summer here.
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

@brimstoneSalad, what do you think about this issue? Do you agree with me that Kaz1983 is probably anthropomorphizing rabbits?
Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

teo123 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:11 am @brimstoneSalad, what do you think about this issue? Do you agree with me that Kaz1983 is probably anthropomorphizing rabbits?
Why do you feel like your in a position to judge me? I'm not saying your flat out wrong, just that certain things you're saying are way off the mark.
Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

Kaz1983 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:48 pm
teo123 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:35 am @brimstoneSalad, do you at least agree with me that pet rabbits, being prey animals and having instincts typical for prey animals, probably don't love their owners, and would probably escape from them if given a chance to?
95% of rabbits are locked outside in wood hutches.
Do you disagree with this statement?
See allowing a rabbit to trust you and thier environment is very, very important ..
Does an animal trusting it's owner, change the way it interacts with people in general?
Compare that to a rabbit that lives inside the house and trusts you completely.. the rabbit can choose to look around the whole house and the rabbit can find out what is most enjoyable and what's not enjoyable.. they can do this, whilst switching off their (subconscious) "survival" switch now that they are not prey animals anymore..
Do you think what I'm saying here is wrong? I suppose it's a case of it's behaviour dictated by the environment the rabbit is in.

It doesn't matter if it's behaviour is dictated by the environmentor it's in OR does the environment dictates the rabbits behaviour -and therefore interacts with the people she trusts.

I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about...
Last edited by Kaz1983 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

:mrgreen:
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Kaz1983 wrote: 95% of rabbits are locked outside in wood hutches.
I don't think being in cage matters much to animals that aren't very intelligent. My mother used to keep a hamster in a cage. And once she accidentally left the cage open for a whole night. When she saw that next morning, she was certain he had escaped the cage... but he didn't. And my mother would often put her hand into the cage, and he would run into her hand to get cuddled.
Though, once upon a time it happened that my mother put her finger into his cage, and he bit her finger. She was telling me he probably thought her finger was a carrot, but I insisted he did that intentionally.
I mean, of course, I hated that hamster. I was complaining that it was stinky. I often suggested my mother to give that hamster to our cat, and that angered her a lot.
Kaz1983

Post by Kaz1983 »

teo123 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 am
I don't think being in cage matters much to animals that aren't very intelligent.
Ummm, you don't know what your talking about..
The intelligence of a rabbit is comparable to that of a cat or dog. Bunnies know what they want, and how to ask for it. If you don’t meet their requests, a rabbit will take matters into their own hands.
https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/rabbit-intelligence/
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

Kaz1983 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 am
teo123 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:49 am
I don't think being in cage matters much to animals that aren't very intelligent.
Ummm, you don't know what your talking about..
The intelligence of a rabbit is comparable to that of a cat or dog. Bunnies know what they want, and how to ask for it. If you don’t meet their requests, a rabbit will take matters into their own hands.
https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/rabbit-intelligence/
Do you have some more reliable source for that claim?
fredericlavender

Post by fredericlavender »

I do not own a pet but would love to get either a dog or a cat (only a small thought at the moment but only will buy one if I can give it the life it deserves)
Is it wrong to own a pet? And is it wrong to feed it a plant-based diet?
teo123
Master of the Forum

Post by teo123 »

fredericlavender wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:04 am I do not own a pet but would love to get either a dog or a cat (only a small thought at the moment but only will buy one if I can give it the life it deserves)
Is it wrong to own a pet? And is it wrong to feed it a plant-based diet?
Like I've said earlier, I think it's particularly unethical to keep cats as pets. It causes great deal of suffering. Cats have a psychological need to kill smaller animals, and you can either make the cat suffer or make many small animals suffer even more because of the cat, or, most likely, both. And cats have vastly different nutritional needs from humans, male cats die because of bladder problems if they are fed a plant-based diet, and female cats generally survive but are very prone to illnesses if they are fed a plant-based diet. And not feeding them a plant-based diet, well, that requires animals no less sentient than a cat to be killed for that.