Cereals with...

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
SK ting
Diet: Vegan

Cereals with...

Post by SK ting »

Before I turn vegan, I used to have cereals with milk. Cereals seems to condition graceful ageing. Maybe it's psychological. Anyway, do any of you eat cereals? What do you have with besides just hot water?
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: Cereals with...

Post by miniboes »

Well, I sometimes eat cereals. I tried various motherless milks and hazelnut milk tastes best to me. Soy milk is also quite good, but you really want some more fat in there. I often like to add blueberries too.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

SK ting wrote:Cereals seems to condition graceful ageing. Maybe it's psychological.
Eating cereal is always recommended by health experts as far as I know. I never heard about the aging claim, I don't think it has any scientific foundation to claim such thing.
SK ting wrote:What do you have with besides just hot water?
Motherless milks. :) Soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, and so on...
miniboes wrote:I often like to add blueberries too.
So healthy... I just add sugar and cinnamon (but should also add ground flax seeds).
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Volenta wrote:So healthy... I just add sugar and cinnamon (but should also add ground flax seeds).
Cinnamon is not that bad right? Perhaps try raisins?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

miniboes wrote:Cinnamon is not that bad right? Perhaps try raisins?
Cinnamon isn't bad (also contains relatively much calcium). Raisins could be an option, but I just totally dislike the 'substance' without sugar mixed through. Maybe I'll try raisins so time though.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

i consume almond milk
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Soycrates

Post by Soycrates »

Hot water! Blegh! I'd never eat my cereal with water, even if I was desperate. I'd eat it dry before I ever stooped that low. Soy milk. If you can't buy soy milk anywhere, get a bunch of almonds and make almond milk (it's just one of the easier milks to make at home I'd say - apparently sunflower seed milk is also pretty simple).
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

If we're talking oats, I usually make them savory and spicy. It's better than adding sugar from a nutritional (and dental) perspective.

Hot water, a little olive oil is nice, salt, pepper, a splash of hot sauce, and/or various other spices. Whatever is on hand, really. If they're instant oats, then cold water is fine too.

I usually don't go through the trouble of any plant milks for oats.

If we're talking dry, crunchy American style breakfast cereals, then I like soy milk. Water is a little strange to use there. Like Soycrates, I'd eat it dry and drink the water at that point.
LLawliet313

Post by LLawliet313 »

Soy milk. Of my god, I love soy milk, it tastes like whatever you put in it. Cinnamon toast crunch is: the best.
SK ting wrote:Before I turn vegan, I used to have cereals with milk. Cereals seems to condition graceful ageing. Maybe it's psychological. Anyway, do any of you eat cereals? What do you have with besides just hot water?
Dream Sphere

Post by Dream Sphere »

I find the two best motherless milks for cereals are almond milk, and flax milk. My judgment may be off since I haven't drunk cow's milk in a long time, but I think the flax milk I've had tastes the most like it. I really like vanilla almond milk if I'm feeling like a more desserty cereal. I always get the sweetened kinds of these milks, though that they're the sweetened version isn't typically labeled, it's the unsweetened ones that label themselves as being such, and I haven't found a single unsweetened one I've really liked.

I've found after tasting rice milk, that it's quite close to the taste of soy milk, but has a much stronger flavour. I think soy milk could work for cereal and drinking for most people, like flax and almond milk, but I personally don't use soy milk for anything other than the making of Vegan Macaroni & "Cheese" (you need the soy milk to make it much easier for the Daiya "cheese" to mix properly with the macaroni.) While the rice milk I've had was way too strong in flavour for drinking on its own, I think, (though I haven't tried yet,) that it could go pretty well in the process of making macaroni, like soy milk.