Gifts of non-vegan brands on purpose

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
NoOrdninaryWords
Diet: Vegan

Gifts of non-vegan brands on purpose

Post by NoOrdninaryWords »

Hi there,

what would you do if a relative gave your kids presents of non-vegan brands? I mean, like a marketing hat or clothes with the brand's name written on it. I find that so horrible and disrespectful.

In this case I burned bridges with that relative a few years ago, because of several disrespectful and discriminating behaviour. So the issue is, that person gives these things to my vegan kids who don't even know these brands yet (they are too young to care about brands) and I assume that relative is so evil they want to manipulate them to turn towards that stuff to get away from being vegan. But they both have been vegan from birth and identify themselves with it.

Do I really expect too much awareness? Ok, maybe I cannot expect they know which brands do animal testing, but I think they know very well the chocolate brand they gave a merch thing of only produces dairy chocolate. Nowadays this seems kind of ridiculous since most non-vegan brands at least produce some vegan sorts.

It seems to be a real dilemma. I cannot communicate with that person, because they severely bullied me, but also I don't want such a weird influence on my kids. But they do love them nevertheless, thus I don't want to stand in the way.

Did this ever happen to yourself or your kids? I mean, when it is accidentally, no problem, I just give it to someone else. But on purpose???
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Gifts of non-vegan brands on purpose

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Are you sure they're doing it on purpose? There's a lot of ignorance about these things.

Also, you can always just rebrand the stuff with some iron on patches. Kids love those. :)