Non-Vegans: Earthlings Link Free Online

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Non-Vegans: Earthlings Link Free Online

Post by EquALLity »

Last edited by EquALLity on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Soycrates

Re: Have All the Non-Vegans Seen This?

Post by Soycrates »

The title should make note that this is the full Earthlings documentary, free to view online.
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Have All the Non-Vegans Seen This?

Post by EquALLity »

Soycrates wrote:The title should make note that this is the full Earthlings documentary, free to view online.
Edited.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Re: Non-Vegans: Earthlings Link Free Online

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

its also on my channel:
http://youtu.be/ydgxje2sC9o
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

What exactly is the point of this topic? Discussing the documentary?
Soycrates

Post by Soycrates »

Volenta wrote:What exactly is the point of this topic? Discussing the documentary?
I think it was just posted to remind people who need to see it that they should give it a chance. But personally speaking I'd love to see someone give their review of it. I haven't watched it for a while and I find it difficult (in a way, it bores me - despite being a good documentary) to sit through it all when I already know all of the facts.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Volenta wrote:
What exactly is the point of this topic? Discussing the documentary?
I think it was just posted to remind people who need to see it that they should give it a chance. But personally speaking I'd love to see someone give their review of it. I haven't watched it for a while and I find it difficult (in a way, it bores me - despite being a good documentary) to sit through it all when I already know all of the facts.

Yup, I posted this to raise awareness.
A review from a non-vegan who just watched it would be cool.
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

What exactly is the shelf life of a documentary of this type? It came out in 2005 and there have been none like is sense than. Previously on this forum people have spoke on how it is difficult to create a production of this sort. But next year does mark a decade of it existing. It is also rue that there have been no/very few laws put in place, or regulations enforced that would suggest the industry has changed at all. I just think its about time the vegan movement stoped relying on this documentary. Another critique of this film is it does not speak of morality in the least bit, it rather relies on peoples emotions and graphic images in order to convince them of veganism. In much the same way pro-lifer's/anti-choice do. Altho I have not seen the movie I hear much better reviews of the 2013 movie "speciesism".
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

bobo0100 wrote:What exactly is the shelf life of a documentary of this type? It came out in 2005 and there have been none like is sense than. Previously on this forum people have spoke on how it is difficult to create a production of this sort. But next year does mark a decade of it existing. It is also rue that there have been no/very few laws put in place, or regulations enforced that would suggest the industry has changed at all. I just think its about time the vegan movement stoped relying on this documentary. Another critique of this film is it does not speak of morality in the least bit, it rather relies on peoples emotions and graphic images in order to convince them of veganism. In much the same way pro-lifer's/anti-choice do. Altho I have not seen the movie I hear much better reviews of the 2013 movie "speciesism".
I agree. It makes the assumption that when someone sees what's going on they will stop their immoral behavior, history has never shown this to be the case, however.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

What exactly is the shelf life of a documentary of this type? It came out in 2005 and there have been none like is sense than. Previously on this forum people have spoke on how it is difficult to create a production of this sort. But next year does mark a decade of it existing.
What are you talking about? Blackfish was made in 2013. It's not as graphic, but it's the same idea. It shows terrible animal abuse.
The Cove was made in 2009 and is graphic.
But why does it even matter how old the movie is? Who cares? I don't understand.
It is also rue that there have been no/very few laws put in place, or regulations enforced that would suggest the industry has changed at all.
I haven't looked into whether or not laws have changed, but if it makes people go vegan...
I just think its about time the vegan movement stoped relying on this documentary.
If I didn't watch Meet Your Meat, I wouldn't have gone vegan.
I posted Earthlings instead because it is the same kind of movie with more information.

Why would we NOT use it when it helps the movement?
Also, using a documentary to help a movement isn't necessarily relying on the documentary.
Another critique of this film is it does not speak of morality in the least bit, it rather relies on peoples emotions and graphic images in order to convince them of veganism. In much the same way pro-lifer's/anti-choice do.
The entire film is about how animals are mistreated. It shows graphic footage of animals being treated immorally, and there is a narrator talking about it. How is that not speaking of morality?
Altho I have not seen the movie
What? You haven't even watched it?
What makes you think it doesn't speak of morality?
I hear much better reviews of the 2013 movie "speciesism".
You shouldn't just rely on reviews.
Watch the documentary! :)
Last edited by EquALLity on Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:38 am, edited 7 times in total.