Converting omnivores who have no arguments left

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PPP
Diet: Vegan

Converting omnivores who have no arguments left

Post by PPP »

Shouldn't be so hard now should it? ;)

I feel it's very similar to theists who claim: "I know it's pretty crazy stuff but hey...*shrugs shoulders*", and continue as they were.

A person who says they have no ethical or moral justification for not going vegan but still don't. How do you reach them?
Neptual

Re: Converting omnivores who have no arguments left

Post by Neptual »

When it reaches that point they are beyond being convinced. If they recognize that what they're doing is wrong and then proceed to do this wrong action then they have no intentions of changing.
She's beautiful...
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

It's hard to have that realization when you won't look at the individual animal. It hit me like a train when I realized that animals aren't objects and I had to look them in the face for that to happen. no amount of argumentation could convince me until I chose to watch movies like earthlings and meet the animals that I was consuming. Was it the same for anyone else?
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Twizelby wrote:It's hard to have that realization when you won't look at the individual animal. It hit me like a train when I realized that animals aren't objects and I had to look them in the face for that to happen. no amount of argumentation could convince me until I chose to watch movies like earthlings and meet the animals that I was consuming. Was it the same for anyone else?
Quite the same for me. Honestly, I couldn't watch the entire film of Earthlings. It only took the first 15-20 minutes to make me come to the realization.
She's beautiful...
PPP

Post by PPP »

dan1073 wrote:When it reaches that point they are beyond being convinced. If they recognize that what they're doing is wrong and then proceed to do this wrong action then they have no intentions of changing.
Hmm well put, I can definitely see this point as I myself needed to be in a certain place to be open to change. One cannot change perspective without moving, in a sense.
dan1073 wrote:
Twizelby wrote:It's hard to have that realization when you won't look at the individual animal. It hit me like a train when I realized that animals aren't objects and I had to look them in the face for that to happen. no amount of argumentation could convince me until I chose to watch movies like earthlings and meet the animals that I was consuming. Was it the same for anyone else?
Quite the same for me. Honestly, I couldn't watch the entire film of Earthlings. It only took the first 15-20 minutes to make me come to the realization.
The person in question, my partner, still refuses to watch any movies/clips depicting the truth so maybe it's just as "simple" as that. Show the truth.