Eggs, kind of....

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Zed4711
Diet: Vegetarian

Eggs, kind of....

Post by Zed4711 »

This isn't an attack, more of a question. I am well aware of the terrible atrocities of the Egg industry and I went to a chicken (egg) farm once, a cage one I might add and I was utterly disgusted and since I was 7 I have only eaten free range eggs. However I do agree with VeganAtheist that it should be about use and not treatment of non-humans, so here is my question. My parents live in the bush and have a large coop with 11 chickens, however these chickens (unlike chicken farms) are never locked in the coop and the door is always left open (except when there are foxes about as these would kill them). They are fed local grains and fresh vegetables as well, what is the vegan opinion on this? Is this 'slavery'? They are not restrained and in my opinion not being 'used'. Also I might add they are not eaten if they die, if we can we bury them and even pat them when they are alive.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it you will be lonely often and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

~Friedrich Nietzsche
Soycrates
Diet: Vegan

Re: Eggs, kind of....

Post by Soycrates »

Zed4711 wrote: They are not restrained and in my opinion not being 'used'.
If they are being used for their eggs, it's not an opinion about whether or not they are being used.

It's a simple fact. Maybe you mean you don't think the way they are being used is wrong.

Have you read this: "Do Chickens Mourn The Loss of Their Eggs?"

And when you buy free-range eggs, are you really aware of what you are purchasing?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I've written a bit on this here: http://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewto ... f=22&t=114

You may also find this interesting:
http://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewto ... f=22&t=115

Use is irrelevant, only treatment matters to the chickens. However, systematic use is inherently prone to causing bad treatment, so the two can not always be easily separated.
Soycrates wrote:Have you read this: "Do Chickens Mourn The Loss of Their Eggs?"
That's interesting.
noelle

Post by noelle »

It depends, and if your parents raise hens it should be obvious.

Some hens are broody and protect their eggs. This should not be interfered with--stealing eggs causes them to freak and lay more, which is not healthy day in and day out. Impaction is horrific yet common because farmers have a disregard for the reproductive health of hens. Almost like farmers don't believe in the moderation they espouse.

If your hens like to eat their eggs, let them. They could be reabsorbing nutrients they lost and are now craving.

If your hens are not broody, and they don't eat their eggs, and they just lay in the dirt or grass and carry on, there is nothing wrong with taking that egg. Eat it, let your dog have it, whatever.

If you kill your hens for meat when they stop laying, congratulations, you see animals as property, not companions. Therefore your intentions were exploitive all along.