Does your job ever conflict with your veganism?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Does your job ever conflict with your veganism?

Post by Jebus »

This has happened to me a few times, most recently when I was asked to arrange the annual barbecue. I also got in a bit of trouble for throwing away the mousetraps.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Twizelby

Re: Does your job ever conflict with your veganism?

Post by Twizelby »

ugh we have glue traps where I work. I work in a mostly vegan section at a store so thankfully I don't have to handle much except milk products and whey protein powder.
Soycrates

Post by Soycrates »

My job is to write for a vegan-friendly, eco-friendly web publishing company, so I definitely lucked out. But I'm going to have to get a second and maybe third job, and it's hard finding that many jobs that are completely vegan oriented.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

thankfully my job does not conflict with my veganism
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

Makes me wonder whether you would actually stay if you're job requires you to do immoral things towards animals. The situations that were outlined in the opening post (barbecue and mousetrap) are things that could happen at almost any job I guess, but if it's something significant that supports the industry in a more direct way, I wouldn't participate in it.

My profession doesn't have to conflict with veganism, and has the potential to actually support it. (developing software can go in every direction you want)
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

My internship mainly focuses on hardware/software development so no, my job doesn't conflict with my lifestyle.
She's beautiful...
PPP

Post by PPP »

Usually no. I work with children in a school.
On the contrary, in the sense that they see me being vegan and answering questions about it I hope "seeds are planted" (vegan humor?). ;)
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

PPP wrote:Usually no. I work with children in a school.
;)
I also work with kids and for me it is always a conflict with my vegan beliefs. They have all been taught such awful things by their parents and have no clue of the connection between animal suffering and the ice-cream they are enjoying. I want to teach them what I believe, but if I do it won't take long before I start getting complaints.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
PPP

Post by PPP »

Jebus wrote:
PPP wrote:Usually no. I work with children in a school.
;)
I also work with kids and for me it is always a conflict with my vegan beliefs. They have all been taught such awful things by their parents and have no clue of the connection between animal suffering and the ice-cream they are enjoying. I want to teach them what I believe, but if I do it won't take long before I start getting complaints.
I can totally relate. I try to tell them the truth but keep it fairly simple and not too judging or graphic. I am usually not the one to start the discussion but when they ask (which they often do) I'm happy to inform and sometimes make them question what they've been taught. Regarding complaints: I find it sad that telling kids (or anyone) the truth would ever be considered a bad thing. Especially coming from a school.
J-Park
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by J-Park »

Well my current job doesn’t conflict with my (soon to be) veganism, at least not at the moment. However, I plan to get into low-budget filmmaking (i.e. short films, web series, etc.). It is common in smaller productions for crew members, and sometimes cast members, to volunteer without any financial compensation. However, it is customary for the filmmakers to allocate a portion of their budget to feed the crew, and rightly so. However, I feel conflicted, as I would not want to support industries that exploit animals by supplying animal products. But, the people who volunteer on these makeshift sets deserve to be fed for the time and effort they put into these projects. I doubt I’ll be lucky enough to find a completely vegan, or even vegetarian, crew. It’s a dilemma I struggle with, and I haven’t even started this yet.