Going easy on leather

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Volenta
Master in Training
Diet: Vegan

Going easy on leather

Post by Volenta »

I always have the feeling that leather is something that gets forgotten a lot. The usage of leather is so normal in clothing, furniture, etc. Lots of vegetarians seem not to care about it, even though it requires the death of an animal.

I really hate to see people being very dismissive about fur, but at the same time being totally fine with leather. Maybe because they think it's a byproduct, maybe because it's socially acceptable, or both. And then they are looking strange at you for not wanting to buy leather shoes or watch band anymore. It kind of hurts seeing so many people wearing leather jackets and stuff, even though I recognize that I also was in that position once (never wore a leather jacket, but the attitude towards leather).
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Going easy on leather

Post by Jebus »

Me thinks there are two reasons why vegetarians are less upset about leather than fur.

1. The leather was not the only reason the animal was murdered whereas with fur it usually is.
2. Leather looks less like an animal than fur-
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I think leather would not be produced if beef and dairy were not. Seems like it'd be super expensive then. That's why I'm much less concerned with leather than with meat and dairy.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsan ... -industry/

Leather is actually worth quite a bit
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

I think leather would not be produced if beef and dairy were not. Seems like it'd be super expensive then. That's why I'm much less concerned with leather than with meat and dairy.
Me thinks there are two reasons why vegetarians are less upset about leather than fur.

1. The leather was not the only reason the animal was murdered whereas with fur it usually is.
2. Leather looks less like an animal than fur-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuQ-J04eLQ See 46:06
Also, even if cow skin made into leather was always just excess material from meat slaughterhouses, buying leather would still be supplementing the meat industry.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Crocodilia

Post by Crocodilia »

It should be thought of as archaic and unnecessary to civilized people in the 21st century. Vegan or not, wouldn't you expect people to find it disgusting and barbaric to wear the lacerated skin of a tortured, fellow mammal?