Why do they ask that?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Dsalles
Diet: Vegetarian

Why do they ask that?

Post by Dsalles »

I try to avoid bringing up the fact that I am vegetarian here where I live because it is so rare, but when it becomes inescapable, somebody usually asks,
Why dont you eat meat?
And then when I tell them that I dont like killing or cruelty to animals, they dont ever seem happy with that.

But, isnt that the obvious answer? Yeah I know there are other ostensible reasons, but really that is the main one isnt it?

Often they add to the question: is it for religion? Which, how likely is that? I am not Hindi. Not many Westerners are vegetarian due to religion, that I have known. I think they want that to be the answer, because then it would not apply to them. But since the reason is opposition to cruelty, then it does. Which is threatening I am sure.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Re: Why do they ask that?

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

Good question. I usually say ethical and environmental reasons because the vagueness of the response sends them the message that if they want to talk about this, it should be part of a real conversation, not a brief subject in our banter.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You got it.

They want you to answer that you just don't like the taste of meat, or that you have an allergy or (as you suggested) that it's just for personal religious reasons because it will make them feel better to know that nobody they know could possibly have a problem with killing animals.

I've even had people give me multiple choices:
Religion, health, or "personal reasons".

You're right that you give the obvious answer and they really shouldn't ask if they don't want to know... I guess it's just wishful thinking on their part?
Or they're assuming, and they're trying to put their minds at ease on the off chance that it doesn't apply to them?

I think Cirion has a pretty good answer, it's honest but by being vague it also leaves them some leeway to not be immediately offended.
Dsalles
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Dsalles »

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. You all have a great community here.